Thread: Only one mirror working on the scanner

Default Only one mirror working on the scanner

I need some advice on how to make my laser work again. i was playing with the laser at a family bbq last night and everyone was enjoying the sound to light patterns but when i mentioned it could create animations too i was persuaded to get the dac and plug it into the laptop. in doing so the left to right scanner is working fine but the up down scanner is not responsive and sits loose and motionless. back on soound to light without the dac i am experiencing the same problems. i havent taken the top off yet to have a look but any starting pointers would be a great help as i need it sorted before a gig next month

everything looks fine under the bonnet but one thing i forgot to mention is that i did get a small electric shock from the casing at one point just before i stopped scanning properly.

It might be your Y axis galvo amp, then. Killed from electrostatic discharge (ESD). You can try hooking the galvo amps to the different scanners and scanning a slow 50% size image so see if that verifies the problem source. Don't run full tilt because the amps won't be tuned for the other galvos. One thing you should make sure, first. Verify that the problem amp output isn't railed + or - as that could kill the still working galvo when you hook it up

thanks for the advice on that. i gave it a go and found that the same scanner worked with either power source so im assuming this means that the y galvo is funked?

is it easy to send back a y galvo for replacement or am i going to have to ship the whole laser back to china?