Thread: Collimator Adjustment Question

Default Collimator Adjustment Question

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice about adjusting the collimator attached to my Melles Griot DPSS.

Here's a picture of it:

(wow, that looks dirty..)

It has two tiny hex screws on it. I'm not sure how these are used and I feel I should get some more info before I go messing with them.

Here are two images for illustration. They are both from an event I did a while back. The first one is from about 50 feet away. (notice the difference between the beam and the beam on the other lasers coming from behind the camera and hitting the scrim.)
    The second is the termination point at about 60 feet from the laser on the opposite wall. (you can see the oval shape of the beam here)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diverge1.JPG  

Diverge2.JPG  

<ping>

Cool

Have you tried contacting Melles Griot? I've never worked with one of their DPSS models, so I'm not sure what the screws on the collimator are for. I agree it would be best to get some information on it first, before you adjust it, but if you can't find any info on it, you could always mark the starting positions of each screw and then adjust it very carefully. If the beam gets worse, adjust it back to where it was....

Adam

There is that option. I already tried minor adjustments, but the things are sort of hard to move.

Additionally, I'm not sure Melles made the device. I suppose I will check on that.

Thanks for the idea.

-Jonathan