Thread: Hello! Newbie here...

Smile Hello! Newbie here...

Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Barry. I've been reading around for a couple days and thought I would join.

I recently interned at General Scanning, so I've gotten quite interested in the world of lasers and laser deflection. Laser projection sounds like a pretty fun way to feed that interest. Marking or engraving would be wayyy too expensive!

I would also like to thank everyone involved in this forum because there is tons of useful information here. I am hoping to put together a system this summer if my wallet lets me.

I do have one question... Can some one point me in the right direction of the kinds of laws behind lasers over 5mw? I understand the safety behind lasers from dealing with ones up to 50W, but that was in a controlled room where everyone is wearing goggles. What are the rules for 5mw+ lasers in public, or a private club setting? I've heard vague things about getting licenses, but I'm pretty lost.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by barold; 06-02-2008 at 16:55. Reason: grammer

In the USA there is a subdivision of the FDA called the CDRH. That is the Center for Devices and Radiological Health. It oversees all kinds of situations where a radiation device might be pointed in the direction of a human.

James.

Alright, thanks. I doubt ill be in a public setting any time soon anyways. More hobby, than trying to make money.

Please be aware that even moderate powered lasers can be very dangerous. There is a lot of great information right here at the PL. The eyeballs you save could be your own. Lasers can burn you bad and start fires too.

They can also be lots of fun!

http://akrobiz.com/laserboy/

LaserBoy runs in Windows now!

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserBoy/

James.