Thread: LCD Projector / Screen hire (or purchase)

Default LCD Projector / Screen hire (or purchase)

Hi

I have a gig coming up in a couple of weeks at which (as well as lasers) I intended to use Pangolin's live SMS messaging software. I had pretty much promised to have this facility available at this gig despite not having either an LCD projector or a screen. This was due to the fact that I had been promised the free loan of both a high power projector and a screen by a personal friend. Sadly, he now no longer has the items available, and I really don't want to let the gig down as they've advertised it on the posters for the gig.

Does anyone on the forum in the UK know where I could hire a decent LCD projector and a screen at a good price. I may even be prepared to buy one if the price is right. Also, there's a lot of confusing information regarding projectors (DLP/LCD) and screens (gain/viewing angles etc.), If anyone regularly uses these items and would be prepared to simplify what I need to look out for i'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Projections are my main weekend-job -besides lasers. LCD typically looks better, but costs more per-Lumen than DLP.

DLP gets it done pretty well overall. I'd recommend at least 2500 lumens for smaller venues with screens not much larger than 9', and easily 3000+ lumens for screens 12' and larger. The only downside to DLP is what is called the "screendoor effect".
    Closer to the projection surface, you'll notice the pixels in your images as a DLP is basically a chip with thousands of tiny mirrors on it reflecting light from your bulb as it passes through a "color-wheel".. blah blah blah. Basically, each of those pixels represents one tiny mirror.

One thing to keep in mind is the throw of the projector(s) in question. Some projector lenses require a bit of room to fill a 12' screen, for example.

I had a show a few weeks ago where I had to do a 12' rear-projected screen with barely 10' to work with for throw-room. In addition to renting an adequate projector, (it was going to be very bright on stage), I had to use a lens that's worth thousands of dollars, just to fill the screen with such a short distance to work with.

Do you have any other details about the event in question? I'm sure I could give you at least some useful advice.

-Jonathan

Hi Jonothan (& others who have replied by PM )

I've done this venue before although i've never used the SMS projection, it's a College, the function will take place in their conference room which is pretty rectangular (level floor) with a large stage at one end. There will probably be around 500 students there.

The DJ has a huge sound/light rig, one of the largest i've seen for a mobile DJ (round these parts anyway ). What we ask him to do is to dim/switch off his lighting for approx 5/10 minutes every half hour, otherwise his lights tend to drown out the lasers (I need more power!!! ).

I was thinking of using back projection and placing the screen towards the front of the stage, this way his lights wouldn't be hitting the screen. The other alternative would be to put the screen lower down and to one side of the stage and use front projection.

I'm open to any advice.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem

Give me a call. I have two or three screens at the warehouse you can have for a drink

Regards

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    ...I was thinking of using back projection and placing the screen towards the front of the stage, this way his lights wouldn't be hitting the screen. The other alternative would be to put the screen lower down and to one side of the stage and use front projection...
    I'd use rear projection on the stage. Would it work out right behind the DJ?

Just make sure you have enough distance to fill the screen as I was stressing before. For example, a 1.5:1 lens with take about 18 feet to fill a 12' screen. (1.25x12'=15)

I still fudge the math and end up with tricky situations myself. At that show I was mentioning before, I decided a 1.25:1 lens would be just fine, but found out I had to use a .85:1 fixed lens after all. Fortunately, my equipment guy was nice enough to bring a replacement at last minute.

-Jonathan

Hi all

Thanks to a very kind UK member of this forum it sounds as though I will probably be fixed up with a back projection screen, a projector and all the necessary rigging.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks for the advice Jonothan, it's really helpful and much appreciated. Thanks to all the others who've PM'd me (or that i've spoken to on the telephone ) as well. This is such a great community

Jem