Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Small FB3 Enclosure

Default Very Small FB3 Enclosure

I thought I'd share my over-engineered FB3 box. I made this back in September, crunching for a show I had booked in Seattle. I tried to leave room for the DMX port, but I doubt it will fit. I chose this enclosure since everything else at Fry's and Norvac was ugly. I imagine I'll put the FB3 in something else sooner or later. Perhaps I can find similar extruded aluminum that's just a little bigger.

Included here are a few pictures that should do most of the talking. Do note the two mini DC fans. Bill at Pangolin kindly explained that cooling wasn't necessary, but I put them in there anyway since I like fans. They work REALLY well. So well in fact, that if there's fog or anything else in the air, they CAKE the FB3 with it. -I disabled them for now.

I figure I'll put a resistor on them one of these days and wire them back up so they do something besides look neat.

Here are the pictures. I figured I'd just do a chronological pictorial ending with the end product.

:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB3-1.jpg  

FB3-2.jpg  

FB3-3.jpg  

FB3-4.jpg  

FB3-5.jpg  

FB3-6.jpg  

FB3-7.jpg  

FB3-8.jpg  

FB3-9.jpg  

FB3-10.jpg  

FB3-11.jpg  

FB3-12.jpg  

FB3-13.jpg  

Hey, that's really nice.

Where did you get that ribbon cable connector for the back of the DB25? I've never seen one of those before, it seems like a much better idea than soldering wires.

Also, the cutout for the DB25 is REALLY neat, mine looks terrible in comparison, did you just use the Dremel?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem
    Thats an IDC 25-way d-conn
    look here
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...equestid=73130

And Plat. I agree with Jem - top work.
    PS whats the car hiding in the background?

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks for the link Rob, I might need to get one of those for my 'new' projector

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    ..Also, the cutout for the DB25 is REALLY neat, mine looks terrible in comparison, did you just use the Dremel?
    Thanks! I used the Dremel to cut more or less square shapes, than filed with a triangular file to get the shape and a flat file to widen it out. I also beveled the edges a little bit. After everything, I sanded all the parts to brush the aluminum and did the final cleanup with rubbing alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Jem
    Thats an IDC 25-way d-conn
    look here
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...equestid=73130

And Plat. I agree with Jem - top work.
    PS whats the car hiding in the background?

Rob

I was pretty stressed shortening that cable with that crimp-connector. It was a one-shot job. It ended up barely long enough. I imagine I'll try to order a replacement later on, just so it's neat.

That's my 81 Celica ST. It's been in the garage for a tuneup for a while. Any day now.

-Jonathan

Nice job Platinum,

Nothing is ever over engineered if you do it yoourself

Andre

WOW, two fans for the FB3? It only dissipates a few tens of milliwatts of heat. I wonder if the wavelength shifts lower when you cool it so much ?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    WOW, two fans for the FB3? It only dissipates a few tens of milliwatts of heat. I wonder if the wavelength shifts lower when you cool it so much ?

Bill

Har har. I'll admit I'm very airflow-conscious.. -perhaps to an extreme.

At least they will get rid of the smoke if you short cct. something!

VERY nice work i may wanna do this once i get my fb3

do you by any chance have any measurements of it?
    -Josh