Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idiots in my city

Thumbs down idiots in my city

now i can see cleveland ohio banning lasers! 4 years ago they questioned everyone with known lasers in town....... This was just in the news:

CLEVELAND -- Four people who may have thought they were pulling off a prank could end up in prison for up to 20 years.

They are charged with interference with aircraft operations after police said the shined a laser into cockpits of airborne planes.

Cleveland police got involved quickly on Wednesday night, sending up their chopper to track down a car that was the source of the laser.

Two commercial airplanes were diverted as they approached Cleveland Hopkins International Airport because a laser was being pointed right at them and a Life Flight helicopter.

The police chopper was also targeted.

"As we always do, we had a pilot and a spotter in the chopper. The spotter was able to identify the vehicle on West 130th street from which the laser was being pointed," said Cleveland Police Lt. Thomas Stacho.

Ground units responded and four people are now in custody, facing state and federal charges.

"It's a very dangerous circumstance when a pilot who's landing a large aircraft gets zapped with a laser, so we take this very seriously," said Scott Wilson, of the FBI.

The green laser allegedly used is powerful enough to cover great distances.

It's not the first time an incident like this has taken place involving planes in Cleveland. Four years ago, a similar green laser was used out of Warrensville Heights, but no arrests were made that time.

The FBI said they will decide within a few days whether federal charges will be filed.

NOT cool. When done responsibly, night beams can be very enjoyable.

Exclamation Anyone notice the 1000 watt 808nm laser on ebay this past week?

I am increasingly concerned that ebay is going to go from a unbridled market for surplus and new laser parts and pieces to totally restricted in the near future, especially after reading recent feedback Quote "my 8 year old nephew loves his new laser I bought for his birthday", Item title 3000Mw 3 watt 808NM hand held laser straight out of China. Seems a Wee Bit Hazardous?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    Item title 3000Mw 3 watt 808NM hand held laser straight out of China. Seems a Wee Bit Hazardous?????????????????
    Why would anyone make or want an 808nM hand held laser?

You can't see that.

James.

An honest person could if this handheld laser was collimated use to test nd:yvo4 / ktp 532 nm crystals to lase green, thats not likely you could use as an illuminator for black white low light security cams or goggles if output diffuse and not focused. I guess if collimated and in wrong hands an idiotic burning laser thats imperceptably dangerously invisibly bright and dangerous causing instant blindness, not something 8 year old children need as birthday gifts to play with!

Default Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Watt-808nm-Infr...d=p3286.c0.m14

I guess, not much chance for a pilot to escape that one, nor for the great 'FBI' spotters. Its just invisible and way harder to track back where it came from.

Much harm can be done with these things, and I wonder why it can be sold on ebay at all. Its even cheap.

Although it doesnt really mention the beam quality.

looks like it s a bare laser diode or lensed laser module and even if non lensed would be dangerous at a few feet with 3000mw output borders on blinding weapon

those zonestealth lasers suck anyway, they're just a 500mW Cmount diode with an adjustable lens - the "3000mW" refers to the power draw of the laser

Thats good to know as now I am seeing people are bluffing outputs every where instead of honest radiated emissions well, with exception of some ( a few) of aziz's ebay auctions.Do you have a good source on either buying a 650nm red laser @300mw CW radiated or 2 good bare diodes to cube combine, all the bare DVD red diodes are seemingly only good for a solid 80mw maybe more if TE cooled but probably only 90-100 max. From Frank king of run on sentences.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs down

America might be leading the way in Idiots with Lasers but good ole Blighty is coming up fast.

What's worse is that our present government introduces new ridiculous knee jerk reaction laws at the drop of a hat these days and morons like this are likely to cost us responsible owners a great deal of money in the forms of licences/permits etc.