Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing galvos ?

HI Andre,

A suggestion...

You at a "dangerous" point in your laser "career".... like full of enthusiasm and loving it.... great

Suggest lock up your wallet for a few days and do some homework and what's available type thing.

Try to go down the road that whatever you do you can build on it.
    Bit likes bricks in the wall ...

There is some excellent stuff out there (European - read expensive) and there is some good stuff out there and there is bloody bucket loads of crap.

Take a look at ....

Lasershowparts (Australia website) -- wide range of laser equipment parts.
    One Stop Lasershop USA website-- wide range of laser equipment and parts.
    The DT40 pro's are available from jian right here on PL. (China)
    For lasers themselves the above shops or the manufacturers..
    eg. Laser Wave (Bridge here on PL). CNI, Viasho, Frank here on PL) all China

I have equipment now from all of the above. All give good service if not somewhat remote. (guess I shouldn't live at the bottom of the world, still so far no ones blowing us up yet)

Just be careful that you don't box yourself in, always have a path forward for upgrades etc. You also have to think about warranty issues buying this type of stuff is not like buying a TV locally. There is usually some downside like freight, customs, tax etc. (like buy it China.. guess where it goes for warranty service ??)

The guys here are great so just pile in with the questions.

Good luck

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

@Pitts,

Thanks Ray for all the excellent advice. That is excatly what I am going to, sit back and take stock of things and do not rush into anything.
    Even though the lasers I have only have 12K scanners I can work on developing the shows I want based on the equipment I have and then when I decide what I need the shows will look even better with the improved equipment.

Yep mine are from China but they are supplied by a guy in the UK and he handles any warranty issues should they arise.

You are right about the guys/gals on PL they are great, have already started the line of questions and getting very useful info back. Wish I had found before purchasing the lasers as I either would not have bothered or asked about having better galvos etc installed.

I always try not to get boxed in but when you are new to a subject it is very easy to get blinded by science and make a wrong choice.

One again thank you Ray and everyone else on PL that has replied to any of the questions I have raised.

Cheers

Andre

Hi Andre,

The penny should have dropped earlier I see your in the UK.
    You have some really knowledgeable people right on your doorstep.
    Like 'Stanwax', 'Banthai', 'Fluff' and probably many more.

I'd try to get along to the UKLEM if you can make it.

Here in NZ there are so few people involved that to get to one of these LEM meetings I flew to Florida (like 7000 miles each way) to meet up with the guys. It was worth every cent.

We were fortunate enough to have some of the big guns at the FLEM meet like Bill Benner (Pangolin) and ILDA guys etc etc. But the real benefit is in just gassing about lasers with like minded people and seeing some 'heavy' stuff that I would never get to see down here in NZ.

I'd be at SELEM in moment but I think 'she who would be obeyed' may not be amused at that announcement.
    Mmmmmmmmm maybe she'd go for a UKLEM as an idea.. perhaps next year!

By the way I am from the UK many many years ago, was born in Greenwhich London but am now a NZ'r as I really grew up down here.

Cheers,

Ray
    NZ

Hi all you laserists,

I have had a slight problem with my on-board DMX controler in the RGB laser. I have spoken to the guy who sells them and he got me to do a few continuity checks and identify the DMX board, apparently they are supplied with one or another type and also if I could do a reversal of pins 2 and 3 on the DMX connector, just in case they was the wrong way around. Everything I tried did not make any difference and the continuity is fine.

Long and short of it, he is sending me out a replacement 12k DMX board and a 30K set of scanners etc with a 30K DMX board free of charge. This has come around because of my reading the info on the PL forum from all of you fabulous people, because he said in his e-mail to me, "...you seem to know what you are doing and talking about...".

I do not know what the scanners etc will be, but they will be better than the 12K ones, i'll try and let you know when I get them.

So to all of you on PL a big
    THANK YOU

André
    Last edited by Onge; 06-15-2008 at 12:22. Reason: Spelling again!!!

Who was the company you bought the laser from? If you don't mind me asking

Silverray ?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Mmmmmmmmm maybe she'd go for a UKLEM as an idea.. perhaps next year!
    Hey Ray, you know you'd be made most welcome at the UK meet anytime you want to visit.

Just tell your good lady wife that you're nipping out for a beer

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    Who was the company you bought the laser from? If you don't mind me asking

Silverray ?
    He has a fleabay shop called Laser Know How. That is how I found him before I knew anything about lasers and what to look for and what to ask and before I found PL.

His name is Gary has 18 years in working with lasers and is a Corpoarte Member of ILDA. He is UK based, so no problems of returns and support if needed, (assuming you are UK based).

I bought my first RGY laser from him on fleabay but my RGB laser I dealt with him direct. He has always been very helpful and has always replied to all my queiries and questions except for one day when his server collapsed.

Seems a nice guy,

Hope that helps,

André
    Last edited by Onge; 06-16-2008 at 08:47. Reason: Extra info added.

I have tried a search for many variables of Laser Know How and come up with nothing

Just wanted to see if it has got anything to do with who I had been dealing with?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    I have tried a search for many variables of Laser Know How and come up with nothing

Just wanted to see if it has got anything to do with who I had been dealing with?
    Try this link
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Laser-Know-How