Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY audio card laser projector pics

I like how you hooked the USB card to the correction amp.

Narley dude!

That USB thing looks like it took about 10 minutes to hack.

James.

PS
    DIY Audio..... I can't resist!
    http://www.akrobiz.com/speakers/10_30_2007/
    They look better now that the ports are painted and there are big shiny red and silver washers around the termianls.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 06-11-2008 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Ok, here are some photos of my hacked 1/2W whitelight projector. This projector was built with a minimum budget as a goal.

Basic specs:
    bridge's 2-axis dichro mounts
    Omega optics dichros
    Chinese 30k galvo set
    Home-made red 280mW with FlexMod1 and long die open can diode
    Home-made green from portable 200mW + tec cooling + FlexMod1 prototype
    S-KY blue DPSS 180mW (under evaluation for review)
    8-channel USB audio card dac interfaced with James Lehman built coupler.

from laserboy wav output:

A few things need to be mounted better and the red is a bit underbowered (the camera makes it look worse than it is), but you get the idea Future plans are to pbs combine another red and mount it all nicely in a box.
    Dear Dr. Lava, I am looking to source or build from components a good solid 300mw laser on the cheap even if that requires, using as you suggested a PBS to combine two red lasers to upgrade my laser projectors single green 60-80mw for a nice combined yellow .
    Could you please give any design details you have come up with and sourcing on diode, te, pbs, and dichroic mirrors and mount if you would! Thankyou Most Sincerely From Frank_1257

the diode is a long die open can diode, from a 20x sony or pioneer dvd burner. proper heatsinking is a must. it's mounted in an aixiz module which is mounted in a heatsink. Pbs and dichros, mounts can be had from Bridge in fact there might be a group buy going on now, see the GB section.

Dear Dr.Lava, Thanks For your response some probably do not want to entertain ? from the uninitiated. I am somewhat technically inclined and have some strong skills in microwave, chemistry and electronics fields. I have just completed a fairly simple scanpro20 projector I used a aziz laser and I am very happy with their surplus as they seem very honest. I would like to just buy a good 300mw 650nm laser but I am seeing a limited number for around $500 for module & driver, that is pushing the envelope for me financially. I am wanting to get a good solid 300mw but all the DVD bare diodes I am seeing only seem to be good for a solid 80 mw CW at best and I am not sure if PBS combining for even 2 or possibly more is cost effective,or practical. Are you running TE coolers with out a feedback mechanism, and just adjusting for equilibrium?, or is a more sophisticated approach necessary? I am dying for someone to talk up on building a sizable dpss laser I have aquired some significant pieces so far such as 60-100watt 808nm module, 100 amp linear supply,laserscope optics, water cooling setup, a few ND: YVO4 /KTP doubling crystals and some commercial KTP crystals ,mounts (both not what I bid on) and heaters. Would you have any suggestions if a big Canadian Corp like Clarion formerly partnered with Coherent pulled a bait and switch on some KTP crystals and mounts I bought at ebay? They sent me some that were a paltry version of those pictured in the auction I am no longer an ebay/paypal member after a stint in hospital during which my ebay seller acct went unattended. Clarion seems to be putting screw to me and I am not sure what I can do without feedback and or paypal protections seems like suing for breech of contract on $500 international purchase would be difficult? Considered filing against Coherent in the USA to see if they would get pissed about thier former partners impropriety and light a fire under them? I would probably just get myself counter sued and be XXXXing in the wind? I have been looking at trying to retrofit a watercooled YAG arclamp chamber to diode pumped but not sure if feasible have seen a diode chamber design at laserfx.com but its construction is daunting looks to be a year long multi K$ project.