Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which red to use?

Default Which red to use?

Hello again everyone, I have returned with some more questions for you experienced guys. I found this forum a couple months ago when I nearly bid on a fake auction through ebay for a Laserworld RS-500RGB. I thankfully did find you guys in time for you to tell me that not only is Laserworld an incredibly dishonest company, but that the auction in question was fraud. Saved me $1100, can't thank you guys enough. But now after a long talk with Mark at ctlasers (VERY informative, really knows his stuff) and reviewing the forum for the past 2 months I've finally started to try and plan what my projector would consist of (I'm still in the "fundraising" stage ). My questions are about which wavelength red to use in a low power projector. In total I was thinking 100mw - 532, 300mw - 635, and 150mw - 473. This is purely for my entertainment, not commercial applications. I'm very much lost now though as to which red I should use. I initially skipped over the 650 because I had heard and read that the 635 seems significantly brighter to the eye. It's more expensive, but like most things in life you get what you pay for. We'll now 640 and 642 are making there way into projectors because of the fantastic beam specs, but those are even more expensive and aren't nearly as widely available. So for roughly the same price, I can get about 350mw - 635, 250mw - 640, or 800mw - 650. When I look at those numbers it seem almost (emphasis on ALMOST) foolish to go for either the 635 or the 640, because of how much more mw you get for the buck on the 650. If decide to go for the 650 instead of the 635 and the other colors stay at the same power levels, that'll mean that my projector will be at about 1 watt in total when its finished - a very appealing prospect . So what would you guys recommend? I've only ever seen a red laser pointer that was 650 at 4.9mw by the way, so I don't even know what the other beams look like or how bright they are . I'm willing to spend the money on the 635 or 640 if it really makes the difference. I do plan on using my projector for graphics as well if I can get some good scanners in there. Seeing as how many of you have probably seen the different wavelengths in action, and given how I plan to use it, what do you guys think my money would be best spent on?

Lightbulb

Sounds like you need to go to a LEM. My Kvant has 250mW of 640 and it makes a nice white with 300mW of 532 and 500mw of 445. I think 150 to 200mw of 473 would work with this set up also. I personally would never get a 635 now that you can get the beam specs of 640.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

AAAAAHHHHHH....the deep red and purple of 473 and 660.....awesome spectacle. Not kicking the others....but then after you see a few lasers you could make a better decision IMHO.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

445nm for blue.. We are never going back to DPSS now! I doubt many will be using 473 in a couple of years..

As for red, I do prefer the deeper reds for the colours, and the 642nm for the brightness
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    , and the 642nm for the brightness
    And the beam specs

BTW, what do the 445/640nm diodes go for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    And the beam specs
    They are just as good with dvd diodes...

As for price. 445, expensive, 642nm, working on a nice price - maybe there will be a group buy sometime very soon
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    They are just as good with dvd diodes...

As for price. 445, expensive, 642nm, working on a nice price - maybe there will be a group buy sometime very soon
    I have just made a fresh enquiry to Photonic Products about these diodes, just waiting for a reply.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

445 does seem to be more interesting than 473, but how dus it compare in relative brightness per watt? (luminous flux if i'm not mistaking)

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    445 does seem to be more interesting than 473, but how dus it compare in relative brightness per watt? (luminous flux if i'm not mistaking)

It's a strange one this. From what I can work out with Tocket's excellent Chroma program; on its own it doesn't seem as bright as 473, but it would appear that you need less of it to produce white?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yes that's the funny thing. But that doesn't automatically mean that it's brighter. I like frames with some pure blue in it and I like the blue to be bright