Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crayola and ChromaDepth 3d for target zone effects!

Default Crayola and ChromaDepth 3d for target zone effects!

Hi all,

I've discovered something rather neat. The Crayola "3d sidewalk chalk" you can get is actually something very cool. The glasses that come with this are actually ChromaDepth holographic lens 3d glasses. When you look at something through ChromaDepth lenses, the left eye sees the red component shifted rightwards and the blue component shifted leftwards, and the right eye sees the components shifted in the opposite direction.

What this means in practice is that red projections pop "out", towards the viewer, and blue projections pop "in", away from the viewer. Sadly you can't mix colours- yellow, for example, gets separated into its red and green components.

You can get these ChromaDepth glasses elsewhere for under a buck a pop, and I'm looking forward to taking a crack at designing something that'll make this look AWESOME. :-)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

the components shifted in the opposite direction.

What this means in practice is that red projections pop "out", towards the viewer, and blue projections pop "in", away from the viewer. Sadly you can't mix colours- yellow, for example, gets separated into its red and green components.

You can get these ChromaDepth glasses elsewhere for under a buck a pop, and I'm looking forward to taking a crack at designing something that'll make this look AWESOME. :-)[/QUOTE]

works great unless your farsighted, then you get headaches.

At least I do.

Steve

Cool

DZ had a pair of these glasses at SELEM last year. Apparently AVI used to have a projection system that used them for some interesting 3D laser show effects.

He was looking for another source of the glasses. Looks like we've found it! (Can you buy spare pairs of glasses from Crayola?)

Adam

Hi All,
    Check this out:

http://www.chromatek.com/

Tim

The Chromadepth glasses by Chromatek are pretty neat. I still have a couple of them left from when I worked at the planetarium, geez, about 11 or 12 years ago! I pulled out a pair and looked at thier web site in the link above and some of the photos on thier site look great with the glasses. With today's solid state RGB projectors, you really can only use the pure red, green and blue colors, but it does give a nice 3d effect. AVI's old projector used RYGB, the yellow being pure from an ion. Mixing red and green dpss to get yellow, through the glasses you just see a red and green line, since they split it back up. Pretty neat stuff, abstracts look amazing with them!

Better still, use two projectors with polarisation rotated by 90 degrees, a polarisation preserving projection screen, and a pair of polarising type 3D glasses for a *full-colour* 3D lasershow!

Quote Originally Posted by weartronics View Post
    Better still, use two projectors with polarisation rotated by 90 degrees, a polarisation preserving projection screen, and a pair of polarising type 3D glasses for a *full-colour* 3D lasershow!
    That's a nice idea, but sadly doesn't work on beam effects :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    DZ had a pair of these glasses at SELEM last year. Apparently AVI used to have a projection system that used them for some interesting 3D laser show effects.

He was looking for another source of the glasses. Looks like we've found it! (Can you buy spare pairs of glasses from Crayola?)
    You can, but you can get them much more cheaply here: http://www.the3dmarket.com/Paper/chromadepth.asp

They also have the polarized kind.

Question

There are 594 nm dpss lasers out there... Coldn't you use that also?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    There are 594 nm dpss lasers out there... Coldn't you use that also?
    yes,

you could

DZ Does this mean I have to bring the 5 mW yellow hene to SELEM?

AVI's digitizng stations for chromadepth used 4 scan pairs with scanner blanking, a red, a yellow, and a green hene, each around 5 mW. The blue came from a ILT argon with a prism in the basement, via fiber.

Steve

Hi All,

I found a place that will sell single Chromadepth glasses. Note that the web site says:

"ChromaDepth® 3D Standard Glasses are generally used for laser light shows."

http://tinyurl.com/5fqqao

These need to be at SELEM!

Tim