Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to tune DT40Pro

Default Trying to tune DT40Pro

I've decided to tune my DT40 pros.
    They have been working sort of ok, but definitely not great as they should be.
    I've put the 12/30k test patern up, scan rate set at 30k in ShowRider (I'm using my FB3), the scan angle works out at 8%.
    As shown in the picture part of the blue circle is missing and it is also completely inside the square and elongated.
    I can't seem to improve this at all even by dropping the scan rate down to 12k.
    With it like this I can't even start tuning it. What do I need to do in order to get it to a point that I can start working on it?
    I'm pulling out what little bit of hair I have left.

Jim

Hi Jim,

One tricky point about that pattern. It can't be displayed "full size", or actually, anywhere near full size when you do the adjustment. I recommend no greater than 8 degrees wide!! when you do the tuning. Otherwise, the circle just won't look right.

Best regards,

William Benner

It is at 8 degrees (% was meant to be degrees).
    Any suggestions?
    Is there anyway of winding the pots right back and then to a kown state or anything?
    Which part of the tuning is out in the pic?

Jim

Cool

Jim,

You need more servo gain on the Y to get the circle back. (The eliptical shape comes from having your X scanner running faster than your Y.)

Have a look at the revised version of my scanner tuning tutorial. If you have already measured the scan angle and are sure you're at 8 degrees (plus or minus), then you're ready to tune. You can ignore the part where you adjust the size of the scanned image, since you're already at 8 degrees.

Adam

Cheers Adam, I'll look at that version.

Jim

This may seem a silly question, but where do you adjust the scan angle with the FB3?

Jim

Jim
    It will be what ever changes the output scan size - you will have to work the angle out yourself - have you downloaded my chart? Search for a thread called 'something useful'.
    The control isnt called scan angle as the software cannot relate to the actual angle as the scan amp gain will affect this too.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cheers Rob,
    The scan angle is already at 8 degrees (measured using trig), it's just that I noticed in Adams guide it said reduce the scan angle to about 5%.
    The only thing in the FB3 software that I can see is in Projector Setings and then under the "Master Size and Adjustment" tab, where you grab the tabs and reduce the size of the box.

Jim

Rob, what's your experience like on tuning galvos?

Jim

I have tuned various scanners inc my own CT6800's (and someone elses CT 6215's) but never had a go with the DT40's - willing to help you out though if you want - im a suckker like that

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk