Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDLA?

hehehe
    Jim
    I expected to find id been beaten to it

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    @Lamborgini
    Your getting a little bit confused.
    ILDA stands for International Laser Display Association.
    The ILDA connector is a connector that uses the standards set out by them (google "ILDA pinout").
    The .ild files are ones that conform to a standard., to send the files to a projector you need software that can read the .ild files and a DAC (digital to analogue converter) to interface between the PC and laser.

Some of the *common* DACs are the Pangolin FB3, QM2000, QM32, Easylase, Mamba USB, Riya and a few others. There are also some DIY DACs like Popelscan and one modified from a sound card.

Jim

Edit.... I was typing at the same time as Rob
    Ah, I see.

I was looking in the right direction then, I have been looking at the EasyLase USB and just inquired about a price on it.

So basically software reads this .ild file and converts it to ILDA? Then it appears from the scanner? The EasyLase circuit board being a DAC?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

"one modified from a sound card"

aka LaserBoy!

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserBoy/

James.

So basically software reads this .ild file and converts it to ILDA?
    The software will also read other formats too, but the .ild files are ones that most (maybe all) software packages will read.
    Then it appears from the scanner?
    Then the software sends it to the DAC, then the DAC sends it to the scanners.
    The EasyLase circuit board being a DAC?
    Yes

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post

So basically software reads this .ild file and converts it to ILDA?
    Almost...easylase is indeed the DAC but the signal that comes out of it is not ILDA. The signals are analogue voltage levels for scanners X & Y deflection, and TTL (on off) sinals or analogue voltage levels for the three colours in the RGB projector (you dont have to use them all). These signals exit the board on an ILDA format connector - but they dont have to - the signals themselves will match ILDA standard in so much as they will be in the range of 0-5V (could be differential if your DAC has it - but lets not complicate matters) but other than that the signals are not ILDA in any way. ILDA connection is used so that many DACs and many projectors have a common standard connection method. Just like the signal to your computer monitor has a 15way High density D-sub connector (specified i think by VESA - PC monitor equivalent to ILDA) - the pin allocations will allow that monitor to connect to any standard PC but not your VCR - as that does not have that format of VESA compliant connection.

I hope I havent confused you more

Rob

PS Easylase is a great little DAC - I have one
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    The software will also read other formats too, but the .ild files are ones that most (maybe all) software packages will read.
    Then the software sends it to the DAC, then the DAC sends it to the scanners.
    Yes

Jim
    Ok, cool.

Just need to buy my new scanner now and get started with them.

Hi Lambo

You are sure welcome to come along to the UK laser meet in august and there will be lots of people to guide you through what you need and the best way to do it

dont rush into buying something if you are not sure if its suitable

and im speaking from personal experience

welcome to PL

all the best ... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Hi Lambo ...
    dont rush into buying something if you are not sure if its suitable

and im speaking from personal experience ...
    Hi Lambo,

What Karl is saying here is very true, I wish I had found the PL forum before purchasing my last 2 lasers etc. I would have saved a lot of money, well most probably not, as I definately would have made better choices of equipment than what I did.

So welcome to PL and have a good read through PL I am sure that you will find a great deal of information that will help you make good choices of lasers and it's associated hardware, software etc.

Also further back in this thread it mentioned about .ild files well they are not all the same, so some software can not read certain .ild files. For example the iShow/iTop software (avoid unless you are gtting it free) uses a 256 colour pallette, Pango and Mamba Black use a 64 colour palette so iShow shows then incorrectly. There are other .ild file formats as well.

Good luck

André

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    Hi Lambo,

What Karl is saying here is very true, I wish I had found the PL forum before purchasing my last 2 lasers etc. I would have saved a lot of money, well most probably not, as I definately would have made better choices of equipment than what I did.

So welcome to PL and have a good read through PL I am sure that you will find a great deal of information that will help you make good choices of lasers and it's associated hardware, software etc.

Also further back in this thread it mentioned about .ild files well they are not all the same, so some software can not read certain .ild files. For example the iShow/iTop software (avoid unless you are gtting it free) uses a 256 colour pallette, Pango and Mamba Black use a 64 colour palette so iShow shows then incorrectly. There are other .ild file formats as well.

Good luck

André
    True, if I had posted here before I bought this scanner kit I would probably have gone for a better one or even not bought it at all. When I bought it, I didn't really know much about scanners at all so over the time its taken to put it together I found it doesn't really do what I wanted unless I start modifying it.

It was fun, and still is but I cant do much with it. Its more of a plug-and-play kind of scanner.

I am doing a little research into it first but I am interested in the Shinp AL-460RGY