Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steroscopic Laser Projection

Default Steroscopic Laser Projection

So I'm sitting here at work wasting time ready PL about Swami's desire to have two projection heads and how some of the ILDA winners used two projection heads. Then a thought occurs to me would it be possible to have a 3D laser show the same way we have 3D movies now days. Of course you would need those special glasses to watch it but in theory if you had two scan heads set approximately the same width apart as the distance between your eyes and you always had them in sync with each other wouldn't the graphic appear 3D while wearing the glasses?

Is there some reason why this wouldn't work?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

you need a screen that preserves polarization and some code to perform the depth/separation calculations, but neither of these things is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    So I'm sitting here at work wasting time ready PL about Swami's desire to have two projection heads and how some of the ILDA winners used two projection heads. Then a thought occurs to me would it be possible to have a 3D laser show the same way we have 3D movies now days. Of course you would need those special glasses to watch it but in theory if you had two scan heads set approximately the same width apart as the distance between your eyes and you always had them in sync with each other wouldn't the graphic appear 3D while wearing the glasses?

Is there some reason why this wouldn't work?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Talk about a killer laser show. Kind of eliminates youtube sharing though

Maybe this thread might help a bit more : http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ight=polorized

AVI was doing 3D laser shows many years ago (I would have liked to have seen it), but I believe it has run its course. If you search PL, I believe that there are discussions on how this was done by AVI. You may want to look into another "psuedo-3D" technique - ChromaDepth glasses. I've played around with this myslef, it's cheap and I've impressed my non-laser friends with the results. This creates a depth shift to single color images, where the perceived location of the image changes with each different color. I have had the best luck where the room is very dimly lit - images jump off the walls.

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said the thought just popped into my head and I knew you guys would know where to point me to get more information.

Probably just a pipe dream with my hardware and programming skills but cool none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Talk about a killer laser show. Kind of eliminates youtube sharing though
    Actually, YouTube supports a few flavors Of "3D"

I had thought about this when we purchased a 3D projector (video). Actually, the laser projector has some advantages here. To try this out you could start with just red/green = L/R and use the red/green glasses. Later, you could take advantage of the polarized sources (loose the PBS cubes) and dedicate each projector to a particular polarization. Or, you could try blanking coordinated with those shutter glasses. A couple of years ago I trialed a low cost hydroponics sheeting that was white on one side and embossed/aluminized on the other. The aluminized had too much gain and was prone to hot spots if not very flat, but it wasn't bad and I was just hanging large sheets from the ceiling. I think if this was stretched or flat against a wall it would work pretty well and I strongly suspect it is polarization maintaining.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Salty, I have a old Pangolin show in Red/Blue Anaglyph with 3D objects in it. If you have LD2000 or Beyond you should be able to load it and play it. You could then report back to us on how its done. I cant make it generally available, it came with a old planetarium system that was scrapped. Lines that should be visible in both glasses are yellow.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I've seen some of the full-color stereoscopic 3D laser shows a certain member on this board has been making using 3d polarized glasses. It's pretty mind blowing. It's not my place to describe his setup so he can fill in if he wants. I think it's natively supported in some of the laser packages that work with 3d objects, and I was toying with the idea some in my software since it's very easy to get openGL to output your left and right stereo views via the GLUT library.