Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest DAC?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by majorlee View Post
    So what is a good starting Analog DAC to buy?

one i was after is a TTL - so no point after spending money on a Analog Laser

i do want a good one capable of 50k pps and also with DMX

i like the idea of the pangolin FS3 deal for $500 is it compatable with HE laserscan, Norms etc?

can anyone advise?
    The FB3 is a GREAT choice, and it includes a VERY extensive free software suite you can download from Pangolin. A LOT of folks here got their start and still use that controller, since it has most of the same features as the "professional" grade controllers. I don't think it will work with the applications you mentioned, but I think you'll find that the free software from Pangolin includes everything you need, and then some!

Pangolin WILL sell direct, and that includes the FB3 "Evaluation kit" that has both the USB and DMX daughterboards. You'll need to contact them direct via their website for pricing & shipping arrangements, but be patient waiting for a reply - most of the staff are probably on the ILDA laser-geek cruise!

Here's a recent thread where the FB3 was discussed:

http://photonlexicon.com/forums/show...9&postcount=14

Last edited by Stuka; 09-12-2008 at 17:15.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

if your really desperate, and dont mind atmel AVR and 3.3 v logic
    there is ElM Chan, but I'd pay 99$ for norm's USB first.
    Norms at least has some time scripting!

While Mr Chan is obviously a world class engineer, it doesnt have much of a user interface.

http://elm-chan.org/works/vlp/report_e.html

sTEVE

Norm's DAC has limited support. I think it currently works with his own software, which is very limited. He mentioned something about getting a driver for Mamba but I don't know how far he is with that. I asked him if I could add support for it a couple times and he never wrote back. So I guess not.

I'd rather have a modified soundcard than Norm's due to the fact that Norm's only has 8 bit x&y. Sound card has 16bit x&y.

Modified sound card DACs are also cheap enough that, if you go that route, eventually you will have many of them.

They make nice gifts!

James.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Norm's DAC has limited support. I think it currently works with his own software, which is very limited. He mentioned something about getting a driver for Mamba but I don't know how far he is with that. I asked him if I could add support for it a couple times and he never wrote back. So I guess not.

I'd rather have a modified soundcard than Norm's due to the fact that Norm's only has 8 bit x&y. Sound card has 16bit x&y.

I would challenge you to find a non-laserist who could tell the difference between a properly done 8 bit show and a 10 bit one, if choreographed correctly.

the advantage of Norms in this case is the scripting and hotkeys, even if its just 8 bit. His software is quite good compared to many packages out there in terms of dollars per function.

Some place in the pangolin archives is some document about a test they ran showing all laser is effectivly 10 bit resolution to the eye. The remaining 2 to 4 bits in a higher res system adds to image size, motion flexability, and rotation , not image resolution.

So a off the shelf board might sometimes be better for a guy who needs to get up and running then doing a hack. At least he could start loading clip art and sync things to the music without a huge learning curve. PL seems to be more focused on hacking then artistics.
    We need to change that somewhat.

Steve

Norms DAC does now have support from Mamba - I will have one in my possession soon but Smog has already used it see here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5355

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    PL seems to be more focused on hacking then artistics.
    We need to change that somewhat.
    I second that! Should we start a new thread on artistic needs or is everyone happy being just a techie?

Every bit of it, including the hacking, is art to me!

James.

Default Sound Card question

If there is another thread on this, I apologize. What kinda of amp strength are we talking here per channel for a modified sound card? 50mW, 100mW?? Would a few LM386's do the trick? I think those are 100mW to 150mW amps. Those are cheap enough. Maybe 30 cents apiece.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    If there is another thread on this, I apologize. What kinda of amp strength are we talking here per channel for a modified sound card? 50mW, 100mW?? Would a few LM386's do the trick? I think those are 100mW to 150mW amps. Those are cheap enough. Maybe 30 cents apiece.
    There are many op-amps that would be a fine choice; too many!

TLO82
    TLO72
    LF353
    etc..

The ± symbol looks a little weird in this diagram. It represents the inverting input. It can be a positive voltage. But it must be less than the + inputs!

All it really does is allow you to mix a negative voltage with the signal that has a positive offset on it and give it a little bit of gain. It's all voltage related. It doesn't need any more current than is already coming from the sound card.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 09-25-2008 at 17:41.