Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest DAC?

Default Cheapest DAC?

What is the cheapest DAC and software around at the moment? I have seen a few around but they are all over £300.

Norms USB DAC looks good and cheap but is there any cheap software around or even free software thats compatible with it?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

I have been looking at this one from Chinese department store http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.co...oducts_id/1915

I have no clue how god it is though when I emailed them about the manual and specs they did not seem to have either so go figure

Liam

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    What is the cheapest DAC and software around at the moment? I have seen a few around but they are all over £300.

Norms USB DAC looks good and cheap but is there any cheap software around or even free software thats compatible with it?

Quote Originally Posted by coil1002 View Post
    I have been looking at this one from Chinese department store http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.co...oducts_id/1915

I have no clue how god it is though when I emailed them about the manual and specs they did not seem to have either so go figure

Liam
    Not good. Not good at all. iShow has a lot of issues.
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Laserboy, sphegetti and a 20$ modified USB sound card? Norms is 8 bit, but his software is reliable.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by coil1002 View Post

Liam
    The manual is here:
    http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.co...DF/iShowEn.pdf

I have seen that as well, the software looks a bit cheapy to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Laserboy, sphegetti and a 20$ modified USB sound card? Norms is 8 bit, but his software is reliable.

Steve

Will check them out.

I assume they can do the same as a decent DAC? Have the capabilities to send .ild files?

LaserBoy reads and writes original palette (or no palette) 2D and 3D ILDA. It is not compliant with any proposed 24 bit ILDA standard, but it can do 24bit ILDA the way it was originally proposed about 3.5 years ago as the first version of format 3. It also reads DXF files and directories full of dxf files. You can use it to draw, trace, color; lots of neat stuff. When you get some frames you want to shoot out the laser projector, you make a 6 channel wave file that has all of the information in it specifically optimized for laser display. You need a DC modified 6 or 8 channel sound card. There is a lot of discussion about that in other threads here at the PL.

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserBoy/

James.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Steve
    What sound card is best to use for I would like to use an external usb type and where are the schematics for this mod?

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by fearfair View Post
    Not good. Not good at all. iShow has a lot of issues.

Good to know thanks

If DrLava had the sound card driver a year ago I would probably be using a sound card now. It is entirely adequate for the hobby user.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    LaserBoy reads and writes original palette (or no palette) 2D and 3D ILDA. It is not compliant with any proposed 24 bit ILDA standard, but it can do 24bit ILDA the way it was originally proposed about 3.5 years ago as the first version of format 3. It also reads DXF files and directories full of dxf files. You can use it to draw, trace, color; lots of neat stuff. When you get some frames you want to shoot out the laser projector, you make a 6 channel wave file that has all of the information in it specifically optimized for laser display. You need a DC modified 6 or 8 channel sound card. There is a lot of discussion about that in other threads here at the PL.

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserBoy/

James.
    Hmm and this gives the same effects as a more expensive one?