Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes Galvo's Faster?

Hi Bill,

Thank you for so much information, I find this quite frightening that this sort of thing goes on in the world.

So the real answer is to always buy from a reputable supplier that has "known" scanners and amps,that way you should get exactly what you want and they do what they should.

As a newbie to the world of lasers, it would be so easy for me to pay "little" money for a set of scanners and amps only to find they are not what they seem and in the end the "little" money I have spent is basically a rip off.

Once again, thank you for the enlightening information.

Andre

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Part of the problem is getting the heat out of the coil. In an earlier post, Bill Benner mentioned a specific trick that Cambridge came up with that allowed them to drive their scanners to really high speeds (thus the 6215's that will run at 60K), but evidently none of the Chinese copies have managed to duplicate this trick. Without it the coil gets too hot, and that limits your scan speed...

While excessive heat can be a deal-breaker, I'm sure bearings, drivers, position sensors, and even the mirrors all play a significant role as well. It's not as if one single part can be upgraded to gain speed. You've got to improve everything.

To borrow an automotive analogy, scanners are like grand prix race cars. They need to accelerate quickly, stop quickly, and turn quickly, all while minimizing vibration and maintaining perfect accuracy through the narrow track layout. If you increase the speed of the car without increasing the grip of the tires, you spin out and hit the wall. Same thing with galvos - run them too fast and they "miss" the points of the pattern. Screw up the damping control, and the same thing happens. Heck, even if the driver and scanner are both perfect, you can still have harmonic vibrations in the mirror itself that will mess up your pattern.

Bottom line, there's a big difference between 15 K scanners and 60 K scanners, and those differences are reflected in the prices.

Adam
    I Like your automotive analogy. As a performance engine builder, I know you can't just bolt on a turbocharger and expect more power. You have to change your mixture and ignition timing and make sure you don't make too much boost for your static compression ratio and well as managing heat. All the components have to work together to make more power.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    You also have to keep in mind that there is already an established dollar to performance ratio. It doesn't really matter what the material cost of the scanner is. If it is faster than model X it should cost more. Right?

James.

What happens when an irresistible force collides with an immovable object?

There is probably a point on a curve somewhere that indicates that no matter how much power you apply, you will never overcome the inertial reluctance of the mass to change direction at and above some rate.
    Price is really not my concern. However, If you could just buy a set of 20K scanners and with a few tweaks and mods you could get maybe 25-30K, that would be cool.

The 20K scanners I mentioned in the group buy will supposedly so 25K at 8 degrees. Haven't tested them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    One problem with this discussion is the assumption that the scanners that supposedly go 50K, are actually going 50K!

Remember, for the longest while, there were people who were selling scanners that look like the Cambridge 6800 (almost every Chinese scanner I have ever seen looks like the Cambridge 6800), and selling them as "40K" scanners. After a year-long education (through forum posts, private emails, etc.), now they are tuning their scanners to 30K (but maybe keeping the "40" in the part number)...

Another problem is this. While I was on my three-week-long trip to China, I visited four separate manufacturers of scanners. One of these companies showed me all of the different models of scanners that they make (and boy do they make a lot of different models)... Long story short, for some of their models, they are selling what are really 30K scanners, as something more than 30K... I told them words to the effect that "hey, this is only a 30K scanner", and they said words to the effect that "I know, but we have to say that they are faster so that people will buy our scanners instead of someone else's"...

So once again we can get into the topic of "specmanship", which means, exactly how much do you exaggerate your specs (much less, understand them in the first place), in order to try to gain sales?

Here are a few cold, hard, facts: The Cambridge model 6800 was designed to be a 30K scanner (actually 24K, but improvements in around 1995 allowed it to go up to 30K). Yes, it is possible to tune the servo to go faster than 30K -- as Pangolin was the very first company to publicly show faster-than-30K scanning at the LaserFX meeting in (I think it was) 1998. So yes, you can tune the servo to go faster but, certain sacrifices will be made when you do that -- namely heat and scan angle. And we can say that there is a "square" relationship between the tuning and the heat and angle. So, if you tune the scanners to 40K, you will be putting (40/30)^2 = 1.8 times the heat into the scanner, and you will reduce the angle to 60% of what you would have at 30K.

Lets talk about heat for a minute, because that plays a big role in the true answer to 300EVIL's question. The Cambridge model 6800 scanner -- when made properly, can only dissipate 15 watts of heat, period. This number is not subject to negotiation. So if you tune for faster-than-30K, and pump more heat into the scanner, the scanner won't be able to dissipate more than 15 watts. This means "power limiting" will happen (a phenomenon where the servo is supposed to reduce the size of the scanned image to reduce the heat). So sure, you can tune for faster-than-30K with a 6800, but you won't be doing yourself, or your customers any favor.

Normally people need a pretty decent scan angle out of these things -- at least 30 degrees, and 50 degrees is more common. At Disney's Epcot Center, they project I think 1800 feet from a laser projector onto the "Spaceship Earth" ball. So the scan angle is around 2 degrees. For them, they can tune the scanners faster, because they have a tiny angle. But nobody else does... So for that reason, we would NEVER recommend that anyone using 6800, or 6800-like scanners, tune for faster than 30K.

There's also that pesky matter of the standard... remember that the ILDA standard is 30K? If you want to go faster than 30K, then the ILDA Technical Committee has established an interim recommendation that you scan at 60K. So there are two standards -- 30K and 60K. 40K isn't a standard. 50K isn't a standard. Only 30K and 60K are standards...

Anyway, let's get back to 300EVIL's question, and the real answers. And we will use a practical example for this.

I was sent a set of, what was claimed to be, 20K scanners. (There are lots of people re-selling these scanners, and I would honestly bet that very few people know who the real manufacturer of these scanners are. But that's beside the point...) When I tuned them correctly, they could only really do around 8K, and didn't really even look very good at that. I did a mod on the scanner amp to make them go around 18K when tuned correctly, and they actually looked pretty good. BUT! the cheap construction of the scanner (mostly related to how -- or even "if" the coil was bonded to the stator) made these scanners such that they really couldn't dissipate 15 watts like real Cambridge scanners can. On top of that, the scanner amps didn't have any kind of "power limiting" type protection I mentioned above. So, the scanner wasn't able to dissipate the heat, and the amp wasn't able to detect how much heat dissipation was needed. The result? Eventual destruction of the scanner.

Basically, the Chinese company made what was in essence, a not-very-good scanner. Then they put purposeful limits into the scanner amp, so that they would never be driven very hard (rather than put true heat detection into the amp). THAT'S a "20K" scanner. The scanners that are claimed to go faster are built (a little bit) better, and are (hopefully) able to dissipate more heat. PLUS, for these scanners, they sell you a more expensive scanner amp, that actually has the "power limiting" circuit onboard. THAT'S their alternative, and more expensive scanner.

So, in reality, the scanners may be made at the same factory and using the same techniques. I have also seen one company just "build scanners", and then do what IC manufacturers call a "bin-out" in the end, which basically means that the ones that turn out the best are put into a different "bin". So it could be that it is their entire intention to create "30K" (or so-called "50K") scanners, but a lot of them simply don't work all that well, due to poor machining tolerances. They pair these with lower-cost amps, and sell them as "20K".

I hope this answers your question 300!

Best regards,

William Benner
    Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the long and detailed post. Also, please excuse the delay. I needed some time to read and comment, been really busy lately. Anyway, yes, I agree with your comment on posted speed versus "actual" speed. They do the same thing with cheap car audio amps. OOOH! 1200 Watts!.... Yeah, right.... I just mentioned 50K because that's what mine were supposedly rated at. Though, I only plan on running them at 30K. I tried running them at 50K at a small scan angle just to see what happens. While they do produce a good image, the amps to get quite warm fairly quick.

I really think their should be some more accurate standards for rating galvo/amp kits. It should be something like a perfect test pattern @ 30KPPS @ X Scan Angle for 1 hour @ X maximum galvo temperature and X maximum amp temperature. I don't know... Just a thought.

So, in summarizing your detailed response, It sounds like the quality and heat dissapation of the windings, machining tolerances of the galvo bodies and rotational mass seem to be the biggest factors in a galvos rating. Is that correct? Obviously the amplifier design has a lot to do with performance as well. The reason for my curiosity is that the galvo's I have had have all appeared pretty much the same with very large performance jumps.

I also understand the "bin-out" method. This is done in a number of industries. While I don't agree with it's practice, I could definitely see where faulty quality could be sold as a lesser device.

Thanks again for all the detailed information,
    Adam

All of this is nonsense.

Measuring scanners by a time factor alone tells you nothing. And you all see that! The only thing that really makes sense is ( radians PER second ).

James.

Hi

Once again Bill is giving us the benefit of his vast knowledge on this subject.
    Having visited Bill's iner-sanctum trust me we are lucky to have some one like him to give us guidance and some lessons along the way.

However I would point out that my somwhat "flippant answer " being the dollar sign is 'correct' in that you dont get the engineering and precision unless we are prepared to pay for same.

I would also like to observe however that the Chinese manufacturers are opening doors for many who otherwise would not be able to be in this game at all or to the same level. How do you compare a $500.00 scanner set to a $2,500 set from a well established company ???.
    With Bill advising these guys in China and IF they take on board the hints and tips he gives them (no doubt free if I know Bill) we should see a slow improvement in their product.

I say chose carefully and as best you can and match horses for courses. If you want that Rolls Royce performance then buy the 60K Cambridge but if budget and other considerations are a fcator thenm whats wrong with making a good start with DT-40 pros or the ScanPro units ??.. at least your in and started.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

All of this is nonsense.
    Hey James,
    Could you please be a little more specific? I really am interested in learning.

Measuring scanners by a time factor alone tells you nothing. And you all see that! The only thing that really makes sense is ( radians PER second ).

James.
    Are you referring to my post where I mention run time for a more accurate rating? If so, I was just thinking that would be fair for making sure the galvos/amps are not overheating. What is radians per second?
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Hey James,
    What is radians per second?

Adam
    A galvo gives us position per voltage in degrees (or radians, same thing) of rotation. If we give the galvo two different positions, over time, those positions will be some radians apart. There is no real distance, it's just twist on the shaft. But the question is how fast can the galvo accurately be in the first position, move toward and stop on the second position? That is acceleration, motion and deceleration; which is a bit more complicated than just radians per second, but, if you have the opportunity to tell the galvo where to be 48, 96, or 192 thousand time per second, It gets to be just radians per second. Why do you think there is always the qualifying "at-so-many-degrees" when they rate scanners at points-per-second? PPS really doesn't mean anything to scanning galvanometers. They are ANALOG devices! It just so happens that they are commonly controlled by signals that come from clocked sources. It is indeed a complex thing to rate the quality of one scanner to another, because there are many factors that effect the performance.

James.

A galvo gives us position per voltage in degrees (or radians, same thing) of rotation. If we give the galvo two different positions, over time, those positions will be some radians apart.
    Ah, okay, Just like the steps in a stepper motor. Obviously a stepper motor makes much larger steps and is not nearly as quick.
    There is no real distance, it's just twist on the shaft. But the question is how fast can the galvo accurately be in the first position, move toward and stop on the second position? That is acceleration, motion and deceleration; which is a bit more complicated than just radians per second, but, if you have the opportunity to tell the galvo where to be 48, 96, or 192 thousand time per second, It gets to be just radians per second. Why do you think there is always the qualifying "at-so-many-degrees" when they rate scanners at points-per-second? PPS really doesn't mean anything to scanning galvanometers. They are ANALOG devices! It just so happens that they are commonly controlled by signals that come from clocked sources.
    Their is no question pertaining to accuracy. Obviously the accuracy at a given scan angle would have to be good enough for an increase in speed. I get a feeling most people who read this thread are taking my question the wrong way. I am not looking for a way to run my scanners faster. I'm just interested in what makes similar looking galvos so different in performance. I am also interested in seeing what variables could be tightened or eliminated.
    It is indeed a complex thing to rate the quality of one scanner to another, because there are many factors that effect the performance.

James.
    I'm just trying to get a mental picture of these "many factors". So, other factors to add to my previous list. Obviously rotational mass plays a big part. So, smaller mirrors and magnet would make sense. What about the way the magnet is magnetized? I wonder if/how that plays into a galvos precision? Another small variable may be air friction. Given that their is still sufficient heat dissipation, I wonder how much could be gained by putting the galvos in a vacuum? With windows for the beam path of course.

240K @ 30Deg. galvos, here we come!