Thread: Glove versus Pillar Drill :(

Default Glove versus Pillar Drill :(

Just goes to show that wearing inappropriate gloves while operating a Pillar Drill can indeed be dangerous. It whipped it off my hand in an instant!
    I was cleaning the tip of the drill from swarf (while running) - will use a bit of metal in future!
    No damage done to me luckily apart from my pride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1664.JPG  

IMG_1665.JPG  

IMG_1666.JPG  

IMG_1667.JPG  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Thats nothing compare to grinder meets my leg. Thanx to Nikey training pants they stopped the grinder and prevented serious injury.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Been there... I have a friend that decided to wear a polyester jacket while operating a 12 foot lathe. The 3 jaw snagged it and took his arm for a spin. If it wasn't for me running up and slamming the Estop he would have lost his arm. He's got a nice big scar to show off now.

We also had a HAAS mill, some joker hit the run button while a guy had his head in the booth... (not knowing that the door safety interlock was defeated.) Right between the bit carriage and the mill head. Dude almost lost his cranium. He was totally pissed!

I almost had an end mill buried in my scull. Some dufus forgot to tighten it down properly and the damn thing slipped down into the work at a high speed. It broke in half and flew right past my head. Ended up stuck in an air duct 20 feet up.

Don't even ask me about 5HP buffing wheels.... Nice distance!

I've gotten my jean shorts tangled up in a wire brush on an angle grinder a few times. Pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    Just goes to show that wearing inappropriate gloves while operating a Pillar Drill can indeed be dangerous. It whipped it off my hand in an instant!
    I was cleaning the tip of the drill from swarf (while running) - will use a bit of metal in future!
    No damage done to me luckily apart from my pride
    Nothing wrong with wearing a pair of tigging gloves while operating a drill, just you should never try to clean away swarf from a spinning drill with them or any gloves, always use a brush or a piece of wood. Metal can f*ck the lans up. Really you should stop the drill and then clean away the swarf.
    I am glad you are ok, you are very lucky, I know of people who have broken their wrist/hand/fingers doing the same. I bet you will not do that again.

Thanks for sharing.

André

Default Ouch!!!!!!!!

In a past career I was a toolmaker and very rarely wore gloves for that exact reason... I did the same thing when I started out and lopped 1/2 inch off the end of my index finger, luckily they stitched it back on at the hospital, but the feeling in the tip never came back... I was using a 3 inch dia drill bit though... Never did it again

best thing to use to clear swarf is a 1/2 inch paintbrush, it served me well for a good few years and the rest of my fingers survived...

Cheers
    Mark (4.75 fingers) Insanity