View Poll Results: How many presentations should there be at SELEM?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 or 2 each day is enough; ie: One in the morning and one in the afternoon.

2 22.22%
  • 3 or 4 each day would be good, with an hour or so in-between each one.

7 77.78%
  • I'd rather have all the presentations (4 or 5) on the first day, with "free time" on the second day.

0 0%
  • I'm only coming to watch the lasers! I won't be attending any of the presentations.

0 0%
  • I'd like to see two full days of presentations!

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SELEM presentation topics - discussion

Post presentations

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Depending on available bandwidth, we might be able to use ustream again for broadcasting the event live.
    anyway to obtain hardcopies of the presentation ? i'm sure lots of people would also find that useful, especially if they cannot attend. perhaps pdf's or powerpoint ?

dave321
    dave321

Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post
    anyway to obtain hardcopies of the presentation ? i'm sure lots of people would also find that useful, especially if they cannot attend. perhaps pdf's or powerpoint ?

dave321
    I do not think they are going to be "presentations" in that sense. More like physical demonstrations. I do not think anyone will be documenting their work before hand or aftarwards. We try to take as much video as possible, but I do not think anyone will be taking notes or putting a .PPT together. I may be wrong...

Smile

We'll try to videotape as much as we can, and if we have the bandwidth we'll broadcast it live on ustream.tv. (In that case, we'll record to the Ustream site at the same time, so it will be saved there.)

Worst case is that we have to record everything, compress, and then upload as a series of videos.

One of the reasons I wanted to do most of the presentations in the lobby is because there is WiFi access in there. There's no WiFi in the auditorium.

Adam

I hope a computer screen with a bunch of people around it translates well to video. Oh well. At least the ideas are there.

James.

Perhaps that where a mic will come in handy. Buffo has been able to record all kinds of stuff in ustream. So maybe recording these presentations into ustream isn't a bad idea. So just a webcam on the presenter and a mic, and we should be able to get some decent video for folks to watch either live or recorded.

I talked to Dean last night. He said he wouldn't mind demonstrating his LaserWave program written in Visual BASIC for Windows. That would go nicely right after the LaserBoy demo, because it's also wave based. Hope that doesn't cramp anyone's style.

James.

Cool

That should work just fine, James.

As for the "everyone around the computer" problem - well, the folks watching the video ought to have LaserBoy already installed, so they should be able to follow your examples. Though a wireless mic might come in handy...

I can always use the mic on the webcam though. I finally figured out the problem with the over-modulated audio (there's a separate mic control apart from the windows one and they *both* need to be adjusted) so we should have decent sound this time. (Not like the video from FLEM MARK II. That sound was awful!)

Adam

No big deal... But I have a 40 minute ADAT tape of a show called "First Night Akron 2004" That I'd really like to show on a nice powerful RGB system.

It's about 2/3 graphics 1/3 beams.

It is the first, last and only "laser show" I have ever done. Made with my pre-2004 LaserBoy code and a Pangolin QM32.

It is silent. So, if someone has some groovy tunage it could use it!

James.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    No big deal... But I have a 40 minute ADAT tape of a show called "First Night Akron 2004" That I'd really like to show on a nice powerful RGB system.

It's about 2/3 graphics 1/3 beams.

It is the first, last and only "laser show" I have ever done. Made with my pre-2004 LaserBoy code and a Pangolin QM32.

It is silent. So, if someone has some groovy tunage it could use it!

James.
    How do you make a laser show with no music?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    How do you make a laser show with no music?
    Very quietly! Shhhhhhhhhhh.

I just made a whole bunch of ILDA frame sets and queued them up on the timeline.

"queued" What a weird word! Four freakin' vowels in a row!

James.