Thread: New to the Forum, BeamMasters Sweden.

Default New to the Forum, BeamMasters Sweden.

Hello PPl.

Just wanted to introduce myself.
    Been readin alot here on the forum the last few weeks and got some really good help.

My Name is Rickard and currently living in sweden.
    In the 90´s i worked as a crewman/Lasershow controller on "LaserMedia".
    Traveling around the nordic countrys at different venues from RavePartys to FashionShows seting up the 10Watt "SP" laser and doing shows.
    My dream laser

Although All i could afford for my self at that point where an old 5mw HE-NE RoadConstruction Messurement laser. LoL. Although i built a laser machine of it with some parts from a Toy CarRaceTrack.:P
    The small electric car engines where my scanners/Galvos and worked pritty well, although my mom wasnt so satisfied with the broken bathroom mirror. :P And some other Toy Car E-engines with a set of rubberbands became my "Actuators" hehe. not the best precission but with a big chunk of Bathroom mirror it worked out fine. :P

To bad i lost the pictures of it. The whole box was from an "High Wodden IKEA stereo bench" HOBBY and HOBBY building but what do you do when u dont have the funds and only in the teens. :P

Anyway. Now almoust 15years later with DPSS and some more funds i finally got the chance to really build a real laser project.

So i have started this project in Mars and this is what i got so far:

Red 800mW 650nm
    The beam diverenge i think its called is really bad, and at about 3meters the dot is about 7mm high and 3-4cm wide. Although its really bright.

Green 50mW 532nm
    Bought this from ebay with the description "50-300mw with an adjustable power supply" although after arrival and a check on the serial number from the manufacture it was only a 50mw. (bummer) but i contacted the seller and got 150USD back.

Laserworld LW-50k Scanner Set
    Havent tested this ones out yet but heard they are really nice.

MediaLas Mirro Pack
    Bought alot of mirrors and beamsplitters from MediaLas in germany, And also some real Actuators, hehe. wich seem really nice. Also i bought some mirror mounts and Difractions.

i have some more stuff.. but enugh said,.

Im going to buy soon from LaserShowParts there Green 1.7W laser and also when the funds are enugh a blue one that suits these powers. :P

My plan is to run this on MambaBlack wich i think is the best for the bucks so far from what i have tested. any suggestions perhaps on other software? but 599Eur inclusive the USB box seems really nice.

owell enough!!!.. just wanted to make a presentation not write a book

Take care all.

Peace

/Rickard F

Smile

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Richard! Sounds like you're on your way to a nice RYG projector there. Be sure to take plenty of pictures as you assemble your projector. (we like pictures!)

You may want to have a look at the Pangolin FlashBack 3 controller. It's a complete hardware and software suite that you can purchase for only $595. (Actually, you can get it for just $500 if you don't need the DMX input board... Just specify the "LA Freak" version for hobbyists when you order.) The unit comes with a bunch of different software tools to help you create and play laser shows, plus several extra tools for things like abstracts, text effects, and image tracing. Search around here in the forums and you'll find lots of info about it.

Also, I know it would be a rather long trip for you, but you might want to seriously consider attending the UK Laser Enthusiast's Meeting that they're planning to hold in August. It's a great way to meet other members from the forums, and you'll be able to see *all* kinds of hardware and software on display and in use. If you're unsure exactly what you want to buy next, I promise you that this event will help you to make up your mind! They'll have several full-color RGB projectors set up and may even have a few Ion lasers up and running as well. You'll see everything from professional-level equipment all the way to home-built hobbyist gear that might not be all that much different from your early experiments with toy race cars! Have a look in the "meet and greet" forum for details.

And again - welcome to the forums. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your projector!

Adam

Thank you Buffo.

The pangolin seems ok but i dont really like the idea of pre made shows. im more of the live guy. Although pre made stuff is really in handy and sometimes a must. But i like the live competition and using a midikeyboard to light the beams in sync with the music is something i really like.

The fair seems really cool and i would be alot of fun to visit. i will check my schedule, is there an time limit before you can sign up. I dont think i will have my stuff ready untill that but would gladly visit as a visitor.
    What town is it in?

Oh yea i will defenatly work with the camera and take lots of pictures. although right now everything is pritty basic and not so much to take photos of. But i have made som drawings in 3D. And about to start next week on the Autocad of the Steel/aluminium box.

here are some of the 3D drawings i made so far.

As you see in picture 7 "3D Studio" actually makes the light white after combining the B, R and green beams. Pritty cool. ive been working with 3D studio for many years but actually never tried this .

owell the drawings are far from ready but you get an idea of what im on the way of building. Quite a big box 60cm Width and 90Length.

ordering the steel/iron next week and i dont know yet if i will order a Bredboard from "Edmunds" or if ill make it myself from Airplane alumium.

more to come.

thnx again.

/Rickard

Hi and welcome to the forums Rickard!

It's always nice to see a fellow Swede here. Sounds you've had some fun with lasers in the past and it's good to hear that you still keep that interest alive. Building laser projectors can be something of a headache at times, but it's all worth it when you see it working.

I have a homebuilt RGY (400mW laserwave green, 2x 250mW 660nm red) projector with a FB3 myself, so if you want to see the FB3 in action that can certainly be arranged, seeing as we live in the same city. It does have decent live capabilities and MIDI support with LAStudio, and if you need more there's always LivePRO (which I haven't seen or tried though).

I too am thinking about going to UKLEM, some company would always be welcome.

Very nice drawings by the way!

Hey, Rickard & 'Tocket'

I'm sure you would both be made very welcome if you did decide to travel to the UK for the Laser Meet in August

If you do decide to attend, try to give plenty of notice and i'm certain someone who lived close to whatever airport you decided to fly into would be kind enough to meet you.

The only downside is my swedish isn't very good - most of the scandanavian language I know I learned from the Swedish Chef on the Muppet Show

Keep us informed!

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Welcome to PL

look forward to meeting you guys if you can make it to the UK

I think we should have a door prize for the person that travels the furthest to get to this meet ....

all the best .... Karl

Smile

Karl;

That's actually a good idea. We had a door prize for "the guy that traveled the furthest" at our last FLEM event in Florida. Pitts (Ray) took the prize by traveling 1/2 way around the world to get there! (Nothing like winning the contest in style, while leaving no hope for anyone else! After all, once you get to New Zealand, if you keep going around the globe you're actually getting CLOSER to the US again!)

Unfortunately, the prize was only a 50 mw green laser pointer. I think after traveling for close to 28 hours, Pitts was looking forward to something a bit larger. Eh - it's all I had though.

We will be doing another "longest travel award" at SELEM this summer. Nothing fancy, just a little prize to recognize the guy that had the devotion to travel farther than anyone else. (Probably will be another pointer, as I have 1 left!)

Adam

Hey Adam...

It is a very nice little laser... and very appreciated.
    Besides the way the world is going on pointers it may be a collectors item one day who knows !!..

But for anyone contemplating Selem or the UKlem make the effort. The real value is in meeting the people.
    You learn heaps and when you sit at home typing at the keyboard, as in my case, at the bottom of the world, you can picture some of the guys you met and the generosity of the guys here on PL.

This PL forum plus the LEM's around the world are invaluable and somewhat unique I think.
    Even the commercial guys open up and share and that alone is a rare thing.
    Don't think a bout a LEM do it,,,, I hope to do so again one day when my good lady recovers from seeing the VISA bill from the last one.

Now its back to the workshop to finish of the case for one of my greenies !!

Cheers

Ray
    New Zealand

Hello Rickard!

Looking at what you have already put together in 3D, for your projector plans, I'm thinking you will do wonderful things in laser vector art. Nice job!

Please share some of that talent when you get into making 3D laser art!

James.

Hej och välkommen!
    That is going to be one mighty projector, I would love to see it some day!
    I have met Tocket because of this forum, nice that we all live in Stockholm, we should meet and talk lasers some day!

My laser adventures are a bit more modest, mostly modified and overpowered budget green modules, blu-rays and DVDR-reds but I do have a 16W Synrad RF-excited CO2 I could fire up for you some time and make som FIRE!