Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got it... "42"

Lightbulb I got it... "42"

How many minutes does it take to travel from one point on the Earth to any other, going through the Earth?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Minutes? TAKE HIS BRAIN!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Minutes? TAKE HIS BRAIN!
    Yes, minutes. Using the force of gravity to accellerate a vehicle through a hole drilled in the Earth, from any point on the Earth, to any other point on the Earth, it will take 42 minutes for the journey...

Man! You beat me to it! I was going to ask about a clear hole throught the center of the Earth and falling... How far up close to the opposite surface do you think you'd get on a free fall? There is air in the hole. No? You know gravity declines to zero at the center and builds up against you coming back out.

James.

So I can get to work in 42 minutes with no gas if I just dig a tunnel?

Been watching the discovery channel eh? I think beating the liquid hot magma and enormous pressure would be a "BIG" problem.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Been watching the discovery channel eh? I think beating the liquid hot magma and enormous pressure would be a "BIG" problem.
    Actually I think it was the ScienceHD Channel, but I may be wrong. It was the one on gravity. "If" you could drill a hole through the Earth, and had a capsule that would "make" the trip, the pull of gravity would accellerate and decellerate (that was in the equation) you back to what ever point your tunnel ended in 42 minutes. I think they said it was one of Newton's ideas, or based on his calculations or something. I was eating and really only caught what they were saying after the "42" bit. Seemed like a good question that had the coorisponding answer of 42... Much better than "What does 6 times 7 equal?" in my opinion.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Shouldn't that be pronounced MMMag-Ma !!

hahaha
    beat me to it - I thought 'Magma' should have had a little more to it.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Seemed like a good question that had the coorisponding answer of 42... Much better than "What does 6 times 7 equal?" in my opinion.
    You mean, "What's 6 times 8", don't you? (Dude - I know you've read THHGTTG...)

Adam