Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Jailed for "blinding" pilot (UK)

Default Man Jailed for "blinding" pilot (UK)

Just been on the news a 21 year old man from Greater Manchester has today been sent to prison for 4 months for "temporary blinding" police helicopter pilot in April.
    Full story here.

Jim
    Last edited by JimBo; 06-26-2008 at 05:44.

fcukin clown
    I think he got off lightly. This is just the sort of bad press laserists dont need.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Default idiot

they set he was trying how far the beam can go
    he could not get better target

Default This has to stop

People really need some common sense.... 21 years old is old enough to realize that this might not be such a good idea. I really get scared for all of us because if this keeps up the goverments are going to completely ban lasers.

In a couple years I could see a laser be like owning a gun.... There will be all kinds of registration and documentation that will make it incredably hard to enjoy this passion.
    And forget about getting second hand surplus equipment (a nessessity for hobbiest).

These smucks are really ruiening an awsome thing. I guess we have no control but to vent in this thread.

Maybe some of you will disagree... But the 1/2 watt pointer type lasers I think are horrible.
    In my opinion I don't feel there is any need to put that kind of power in a handheld / protable module. Lasers with that power only need to be on the bench or in a projector.
    How many times have you accidently dropped your flashlight or flashed someone in the eyes.. Well these pointers may not give you a second chance. I know I am over reacting slightly...But darnet... when lasers hit the news like this the reports are not about cool things we do... they go right to pointing out how easy it is to get these high power "death ray" laser pointers.

Anyway... of of my soap box =)

The Sun has the story too, along with a bigger picture of the eediot

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1344224.ece

the dcikhead managed to make the headline story on the local bbc news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7475632.stm

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I expect that when people start talking about him we will find he is the typical council estate scally that hasn't ever worked, has probably already been inside a couple of times and is well known to the police.
    The thing is over here you are in no doubt when the police helicopter is out, he knew it was the police and did it on purpose, fortunately he must be brain dead and didn't think that they had the exact source of the laser on camera.

Jim

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Hey, thats Hayden from Pangolin!
    go big or go home

it nobs like him who give us a bad name
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

On the TV News, he was described as 'Immature and Stupid' - just about sums it up - but they also said that the number of similar incidents have doubled every year for the past few years, so it looks as though there are a lot of half-wits out there who are buying and abusing laser pointers. This can only lead to an increased chance of restrictive legislation.