Thread: HomeMade Mirror Mount

Default HomeMade Mirror Mount

Hello ppl!

Today i finally got the last parts (tiny springs) to my project in making mirror mounts and although its not the correct material (Aluminium) it worked out pritty well.

Total sum of making one of these for yourself shouldent exceed 5-6USD.

here are some pics.

3x M5 Screws
    2x Tiny 0.5mm Springs (found them at a local hardware store for 19USD 25Pack)
    1x Small Metal Ball (to keep it stabilized)
    1x Metal Ring
    4x Tiny Metal Pins
    1x Angled IronPin
    2x IronPlates

The two ironplates that i drilled before i painted them with normal spray.

This is the backside of the ironplates. Notice the chromed spot, this is where the Litle Metal Pall will be positioned.

The tiny spring with the even smaller iron pin that will hold it in place. This was actually the hardest part to have the pin stay there while putting it the ironplate hole. I will use a litle dot of superglue next time.

The spring is in place

2 springs in place. :P

The mount is ready.

it works.

im sure many of you ppl know how to build this allready but just wanted share.

take care all.

/Rickard.

Very good. Get your self some 80tpi screws and you won't believe how much smoother it is, though. McMaster has some 1/4-80tpi set screws with ball bearings on the tips. I put those on my homemade dichro mounts it was like night and day. The tap was a little expensive but it will last me forever. McMaster sales the tap, too, by the way.

Default thnx

Thank you!

yea for my next mount that i will try (3way positioner) i will defenatly try some other screws. The M5 works ok but as you see i had to cut em in the top to make it litle smother.

ah ive been looking for the ones with the metal ball bearings. Do you have an URL?

thanks again.
    /Rick

I can't post a link directly to it but go to www.mcmaster.com. Look down into the "Fastening and Sealing" section and click on "Set Screws". Then scroll down and click on the picture labeled "Swivel Ball Bearings". Then click on the "Round Rotating" picture. It will then list a wide assortment. I think the ones I got were 3/4" x 1/4-80. They aren't cheap, though. $7.61 each. But, you won't get any smoother operating than that.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I can't post a link directly to it but go to www.mcmaster.com. Look down into the "Fastening and Sealing" section and click on "Set Screws". Then scroll down and click on the picture labeled "Swivel Ball Bearings". Then click on the "Round Rotating" picture. It will then list a wide assortment. I think the ones I got were 3/4" x 1/4-80. They aren't cheap, though. $7.61 each. But, you won't get any smoother operating than that.

Thorlabs has em too
    in fact they will sell you 3/16-100 too, and they have predrilled, pre tapped brass bushings so you you dont need a painful 1/4-80 tapping step.

Steve

I think McMaster has those sizes, too. Brass bushings might be nice but they'd require a press fit so you would need an undersize reamer and a press to get them in. Probably easier to just tap.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I think McMaster has those sizes, too. Brass bushings might be nice but they'd require a press fit so you would need an undersize reamer and a press to get them in. Probably easier to just tap.
    ---------------

actually they go in quite nicely with just a standard drill and a light tapping with a wood block, or even glue or a set screw. It is not easy for a beginner to tap 1/4-80.

Steve

Not sure I would agree with you there. Tapping wise, I think the 1/4-80 was probably as easy as I have done. Much easier than all those M4 threads I had to do on my base plate. Those were awful!