Thread: A *REALLY* nice laser

Default A *REALLY* nice laser

Spotted this on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=017

Now that's what I call a *REALLY* nice laser

I want one, no, I NEED one... will double up as a nice holography laser as well

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Cool

15 grand... Ouch!

I mean, I'm sure it's got a hell of a long coherence length and all, but Jesus! 15 grand!

Plus the seller is brand new to E-bay. (Zero feedback and the account was created within the last 30 days.) Not sure I'd be willing to spend that much coin on an auction from a newbie...

Adam

There have been a series of these on eBay lately. They are all stolen units from coherent. The one from PNtechretails was stolen from a loading dock and I got the serial number from him and Coherent said it was stolen. All of the items I have bought from PNtechretails have been stolen, all the serial numbers are either prototypes which coherent is very protective of, or they are stolen from the coherent facility. Then again, common sense would make you wonder why he has thousands of brand new diodes with no problems for very low prices. I have reported him to eBay many times and I even tried visiting his address which does not exist.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Sheeesh... That's a downer. Just as I was going to buy it as well. Guess i'll have to give it a miss now

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

keep your eyes open the heads for the 2 watt verdi lasers have shown up recently for about $2000 each you of course would have to supply a fiber coupled pump laser and a power supply which could be had for under a thousand I intend to start selling custom made 1-10 watt green lasers starting around $2000-2500 over the next 2-3 months stay in touch if you are really serious

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    There have been a series of these on eBay lately. They are all stolen units from coherent. The one from PNtechretails was stolen from a loading dock and I got the serial number from him and Coherent said it was stolen. All of the items I have bought from PNtechretails have been stolen, all the serial numbers are either prototypes which coherent is very protective of, or they are stolen from the coherent facility. Then again, common sense would make you wonder why he has thousands of brand new diodes with no problems for very low prices. I have reported him to eBay many times and I even tried visiting his address which does not exist.
    How do these guys like spectralaser who I just bought a fiber laser from at ebay maintain 100% feedback when after taking a closer look at a second laser I bid on and won had a label indicating it was a 830nm laser which is worthless for pumping a dpss laser and states in his auction I quote " may be +/- 10 mn of 808nm " well a good pump laser should be within +/- 5nm at 77 degrees farenheit or 25 degrees centigrade you can bring a laser to a desired frequency somewhat through temperature control but 808nm from 830nm not happening! I have recently seen some verdi heads that sold at ebay that looked really sweet for around $2K the buyers left positive feedback?? THIS pntechretails guy seems like some little anal retentive guy he offers buy now on products and wants 95% of list, many of the lasers he sells are not usable due to burned fiber optic output couplers and or cut and burned fibers, I have been dealing with some coherent engineers one in particular Vic Gallant (do not say I sent you) and he is somewhat nice if you do not ask annoying or inane questions they refuse to give info on many custom OEM packages I think ebay would slam this guy pntechretails if their was any indication he was dealing in stolen product I would pray that you or coherent would report any thefts if really true. I want to say that I have found ebay seller spectralaser to be dishonest if you buy be really carefull to ask pointed questions and read into details of what you are buying. A little fact about hi power laser modules they will draw a certain amperage range at time of mfg. and should usually produce 90% or better of rated power if tested using a calibrated appropriate wavelength laser meter as the laser ages it will still produce the same power output almost nearly but the amperage required to do so will increase slowly when this exceeds 20% of mfgs specifications the laser module is usually pulled from service and ends up guess where on ebay. When you see a used laser module that has fallen off in its rated output by 20% it is totally wasted the high power module consists of one or more rows of laser diode emitters these will begin to physically distort and will short expand destroying adjacent emitters due to heat obstruction etc. as this occurs it fails quickly like a car with no brakes going down a hill into a brick wall and this laser module is doomed. This was from the engineer at Coherent so buyer beware, I still do not get it how are these people at ebay maintaining 100% feedback and misrepresenting what they sell all the people leaving feedback must be idiots and not know what they are buying??????????????????? Well except for whoever got that verdi 2watt head for two grand!

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Spotted this on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=017

Now that's what I call a *REALLY* nice laser

I want one, no, I NEED one... will double up as a nice holography laser as well

Jem
    I saw how its made on the discovery channel yesterday they were using a commercial 1/2 watt spectra physics 532nm laser looks like you biggest investment for holograpy is in an air isolated optical table as any I many any vibration will apparently screw up your exposures

eBay does not do anything about stolen stuff unless you file a police report and back it up with evidence. Because nothing he has done has directly affected me, I cannot file the report and thus can't report it as stolen. Coherent on the other hand dosn't respond to emails sent through the website and all the other people I have talked to there say it's not worth doing anything about.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    I saw how its made on the discovery channel yesterday they were using a commercial 1/2 watt spectra physics 532nm laser looks like you biggest investment for holograpy is in an air isolated optical table as any I many any vibration will apparently screw up your exposures
    HI Frank

I was joking when I said that I would have to give it a miss - Guess it's my 'British' sarcasm that didn't come across too well

I alread have a nice 100mW Coherent C315m that I use for holography - and yes, you are correct about vibrations, they can easily spoil a hologram. Stability is the key to good images, along with a nice single mode laser with long coherence length. High Laser power is also good... High power = Less exposure time, therefore less risk of movement. That's why pulsed ruby lasers are good for holography as the exposure times are so short you can 'freeze' moving objects, much like a flash gun does in normal photography.

Thanks for the offer of high power greens though, it will be interesting to see what you have to offer

Jem

I live in austin texas I used to buy sell pentium pro 200mhz processors back when they were worth a grand and 64mb edo ram was worth a bunch of money there was always a steady stream of this kind of stuff going out back door of chip process plants and mfg lines I assume that the same is going on with these other ebay sellers I seeing a lot of non 808nm stuff going at ebay under the premise its good for building a pump laser buyer beware! that means me! as I just bid on such a thing and close inspection of the picture of laser has shown it is a 830 NM laser, well see if I will pay ain't gonna happen.