Thread: Pangolin IMU/VMU + Lasers

Default Pangolin IMU/VMU + Lasers

Hi All

Just though i'd share this...

A couple of weeks ago we provided our services at a local college (it's still early days for us providing commercial shows), we were booked to put on a laser show at various points throughout the evening. However, when the booking was made I mentioned that we were also able to provide a 'Live' SMS text messaging service that could be projected onto a large video screen. The College was interested and we subsequently got booked to do this as well. A friend had previously offered to loan me a video projector for the evening but sadly he sold it just before the gig. However, thanks to a member of this forum the day was saved (thanks Neil )

We were using Pangolin's Interactive Messaging Unlimited (IMU)software along with their display software Video Messaging Unlimited (VMU). Basically you use a USB cellular modem (also supplied by Pangolin, takes standard SIM cards, easy to change SIM after each event ) to receive the messages, these are processed by the IMU software before being displayed by the VMU software. It's a really slick suite of programs, messages can automatically be screened for offensive content before being displayed etc. It's also possible to do SMS voting and display graphs etc. to show the who's winning. You are even able to display 'Live' video feeds on the VMU screen. I just wanted to mention this to say thanks to Pangolin for providing yet another great software product apart from the usual laser software

Link to Pangolin's SMS website: http://www.pangolinsms.com/

We used a 8' x 6' FastFold back projection screen with a 5500+ lumen video projector with a short throw lens for the SMS video output, my 1 watt laser projector, QM2k.net and Novation MIDI controller running LivePRO for the main laser show and Rob's laser projector running Mamba Black for displaying text above the stage. Add a few laptops, a nice touch screen, a couple of dodgy looking characters and a few other bits and pieces and you get what you see in the photograph

It was a great night, there was live music, a very professional DJ and of course us... The 'Us' being Rob (Stanwax), Craig (Wiring Monkey) and myself. Thanks again guys for helping out it was greatly appreciated Incidentally, we processed just under 300 text messages during the course of the evening!

I think at this stage some pictures are in order (Thanks Craig! ... Note the obligatory Pangolin Tee shirts )...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EOS 40D IMG_4772.jpg  

EOS 40D IMG_4791.jpg  

EOS 40D IMG_4999.jpg  

EOS 40D IMG_5007.jpg  

EOS 40D IMG_5025.jpg  

Last edited by Jem; 07-04-2008 at 22:32. Reason: Added link to Pangolin's SMS website.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

looks good mate any video?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Wink

What, no SP168...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

LOL yeah rob wheres the white?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    looks good mate any video?
    Sadly Andy we didn't get any video. It's just something I didn't think of

Never mind, there'll be another time i'm sure.

Now then... I must remember to wear a hat next time - reflection hazards and all that

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

shame would have liked to of seen a video
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Jem,

Thanks for sharing your success story! I am happy to hear that our software worked out well for you.

For what it's worth, typically we see around 100 messages per hour at clubs and DJ events.

Best regards,

William Benner