Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lasever 300mw 635nm module

Yep your right I was only going by memory did this at work, it is 650 as you say.

However how does that stack up against say Marconi's dual at 445mw (in my case) HB are claiming 3mm beam ( ie 3 * 3 I assume square).
    I thinkthe Maxxy is around 660nm or so and has a real nice colour etc.. just need more kick. Love the Maxxy no problems, we just need Marconi to finish his design for the quad job.

So I am comparing this HB at say 7-800mw at 650 against the Maxy at 445mw not against the brighter but hugely larger 635..

To get this power I assume (probably wrongly) that HB have already used two diodes so the trick of combining two HB units is not an option (excluding the bank manager)

I note you mention that good beam specs are available at 200mw in 635nm would you therefore be bettr of to combine two 635nm 200mw units and end up with a more "powerful" red..??

Cheers & Thanks

Ray
    Last edited by Pitts; 07-23-2008 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post

I note you mention that good beam specs are available at 200mw in 635nm would you therefore be bettr of to combine two 635nm 200mw units and end up with a more "powerful" red..??

Cheers & Thanks

Ray
    Ohh yeah thats how big red monsters are made. They take a very big array of lower powered diodes and then combine them into a big circle and then compress it.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    However how does that stack up against say Marconi's dual at 445mw (in my case)
    Hi Ray;

At FLEM Mark II we compared my maxyz module pair against DZ's 635 mn red. We had an identical pattern playing on both projectors (red only). My Mayxz modules were making 375 mw of 660 nm red out of the projector (after losses through the dichros, the scanner mirrors, and the aperture window). DZ adjusted his projector's brightness until his pattern appeared to be as bright as mine. We had several people looking at the pattern. Then I checked the power of DZ's projector at the output window. It was making just 75 mw of 635 nm red!

So at least for comparing 660 nm to 635 nm, you can use a 5 to 1 ratio. That is, 635 nm will appear 5 times as bright as 660 nm - at least for the relatively low power levels that we were dealing with. (This ratio may not scale linearly up to multi-watt levels, because at some point the eye will begin to saturate and the difference will be less.)

So, based on the emperical results above, 660 nm verses 650 nm shouldn't be nearly as much of a change. I'm guessing somewhere around a factor of 2 difference. There's a chart buried in Sam's Laser FAQ that lists the sensitivity values for the human eye at various wavelengths if you want to calculate the exact numbers.
    good beam specs are available at 200mw in 635nm would you therefore be better off to combine two 635nm 200mw units and end up with a more "powerful" red..??
    Well, in theory you could do both. That is, you could have a maxyz module pair *and* a pair of 200 mw reds. Of couse, you'd need that custom narrow-band dichro from Semrock that we've been talking about in order to mix 635 nm with 660, but it's certainly possible.

You'd end up with roughly the *equivalent* of 500 mw of 635 red (which is a lot of red!) while keeping a nice tight beam profile. Also, you'd get the benefit of having some longer wavelength red (660 nm) for a richer color pallette. Not sure how much of a difference it would make though, considering that the 660 would make up just 1/6th of your apparent total brightness.

I'd love to try it someday to see how it would look. Maybe next year I'll organize a group buy for a lot of 10 of those dichros from Semrock and see what can be done with them...

Adam

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I'd love to try it someday to see how it would look. Maybe next year I'll organize a group buy for a lot of 10 of those dichros from Semrock and see what can be done with them...

Adam
    Hey, if the SELEM raffle doesn't work out, I'm down for one...

I'd go for one too...

http://www.medialas.de/data/intensity.pdf

here is the chart as provided my Medialas - I have this printed and pinned to my wall here along with the Skywise Visible laser Spectrum chart.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    http://www.medialas.de/data/intensity.pdf

here is the chart as provided my Medialas - I have this printed and pinned to my wall here along with the Skywise Visible laser Spectrum chart.

Rob
    Nice chart...

The medialas chart seems to be based on some old (1924) CIE luminosity function as it gravely underestimates the contribution of blue wavelengths (and also deep reds to some extent). They don't give any source though. A more recent (2005) one by Stockman and Sharpe can be found here:
    http://www.cvrl.org/database/text/lum/ssvl2.htm

For example the response at 455nm is 50% higher in Stockman and Sharpe's function, so the difference is certainly significant.

This data was collected at a light level roughly equivalent to a cloudy sky at noon. In dark conditions the sensitivity is rather blueshifted, but I'm highly doubtful that a scotopic or even mesotopic curve should be applied for our purposes.

If i make it to the meet next month, i will have my rgb running, it has a 671nm dpss at 1.2w and just arriving the 400mw 637nm from medialas,

i havnt seen this working before so it should be a good comparison,

IF................

you mean you will be attending with a scope!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat