Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lasers and girlfriends/wifes

My girlfriend doesnt mind what I buy/bring home as long as its not another woman! We went through a phase a few years ago where I would ask 'do you want to come on an adventure at the weekend?' to which she learnt to reply 'where are we going to collect the laser?'
    The only hint of dismay was four years ago when we went on an adventure to Northampton and as I folded the seats down in the car and brough the first of the large wooden crates out to put in the back she said 'bloody hell how big is this one?' This was the day I collected the SP168. The only thing that bugs her really is when I fill the room with smoke - she dont seem to like it as much as me

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    My partner would probably rather have me sitting next to him, watching a movie than sitting in the basement, by myself, writing code till 3 or 4AM.
    There's an easy solution to that one, James... Teach him how to code!

Seriously though, I think a lot of us can relate to this. My wife puts up with the laser hobby, but she doesn't understand why it takes so much of my time. (Not to mention money!) And she's underwhelmed by the pretty pictures the projector draws in the air. (Sigh...) My efforts to convert her to a laser enthusiast have failed.

Also, like Rob's wife, my wife *hates* the smell of the fog from the fog machine. That's really unfortunate, because if I'm going to do a show for my friends in the house, it means that she needs to leave the room. But she's a good sport about it at least.

Still, she understands what I'm doing, even if she doesn't share my enthusiasm for it. And she does put up with a lot. (Like the recent trip to North Carolina to pick up a spare power supply for my HGM5... That turned into a 7 hour day in the car for the return trip. Ugh! Probably shouldn't have convinced her to tag along on that trip...)

To my credit, I've scaled back or completely cut out some of my other, previous hobbies as lasers have taken more time. So I don't play paintball anymore, and I'm probably going to sell the boat this year. I'm doing my best to maintain a balance of sorts...

Now, where's my soldering iron?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    There's an easy solution to that one, James... Teach him how to code!
    He actually had a 286 computer when I met him and a history of dinosaurs in the closet like a Commodore 128, and stuff. So he's always been into it. Our first major purchase was an upgrade to a 486! (That was when computers cost $thousands.)

But after more than 15 years, he still doesn't understand how I can spend 16 hours a day, for weeks on end, writing code. (When I'm really lucky! )

James.

PS. In case you hadn't guessed, I'm adamant about everything and I plan on converting all of you.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-10-2008 at 13:41.

My hand doesn't get too pissed off at me when i play with lasers....

:P
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    To my credit, I've scaled back or completely cut out some of my other, previous hobbies as lasers have taken more time. So I don't play paintball anymore, and I'm probably going to sell the boat this year. I'm doing my best to maintain a balance of sorts...

Now, where's my soldering iron?

Adam
    No Adam......Not the Boat.......You'll regret that one!!!!

The two best days of my life were the day I bought a boat and then the day I got rid of it.

My brother-in-law told me that the word boat comes from "But its Only Another Thousand!"

James.

Cool

Or "Break Out Another Thousand..."

But honestly, I can't complain. It's been a great boat, and relatively maintenance free. Only problem is that the kids are grown, and the wife hates the boat. So who do I go out on the water with? The last thing I need is another hobby that only I enjoy. So after nearly 9 years, I think it's time to sell it. (Sigh)

Adam

LOL. My wife hated the boat, too. But, it was just me and her when we had it. From the time we left for the lake until we got back I had to look at a very mean face. But, it was not so bad because she always tried to get back at me by slinging me around on the tube, but that was always the most fun part of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    They don't seem to mix well, do they!

We are not living together. She knows I'm running business and she's ok with that as long as I have a few bucks for a gas to her place. But I can imaging a shock when she finds out how much I'm spending.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!