Thread: Any thoughts on ....... Wide Angle Galvos

Default Any thoughts on ....... Wide Angle Galvos

I have been kicking around here for a few years now and something i dont see discussed often if at all is Wide Angle Galvos ..........

Just wondering if anyone has experience of a selection of them to explain ....

A) Prices
    B) Availibility & Where
    C) Advantages and disadvantages !

could anyone do a drawing showing "typical" degrees a 12k or 30k scanners would do and show HOW much extra degrees you can get with .

I would imagine the wide angles come into there own when doing nightclub stage shows etc so its just beams and the extra angle would be useful ..but i think i have read you can only really buy upto 22k wide angles ?? well thats without remortaging yer house price wise

Anways , anyone with experience of Wide angles wanna share it !

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Hi,

Widemove aka M9024 scanners! I have them for a few years now, and still happy. They can do incredible angle. And the cost have a little decreased since, I think <700 euros. Still expensive though, but I don't see any alternative.
    You can get them from JMLaser, ask Joachim (jojo on this forum), he answers usually fast.

Advantages :
    - Scan angle up to 90° (depends on your beam size), with quite fast speed at max angle
    - Unbreakable! You can overdrive them without any problem
    - Don't heat at all (so, reliable at long term)
    - All-in-one power supply and driver
    - A new version of the driver has a built-in scanner safety (I don't have it so I can't tell more about it)

Disadvantages :
    - Can't do precise movements at small angle
    - Can do decent graphics, but only when drawed quite large
    - Speed (24-26kpps)

Sebastien

Sebastion
    Great , pretty comprehensive review ! price and suppliers and your thoughts on product , just exactly what i need.

The "Scan angle up to 90°" being 90 surprised me i expected it to be wider ...maybe 160 ? 140? .....so do you know if 90 is typical ?
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

The max angular excursion of one scanner is 180°. If you want to scan in X/Y (as a normal configuration), the angle is limited by the length of the Y-mirror (or the last hitted mirror).
    Because the first-hitted mirror is always pointed with a fixed beam (coming directly from the lasers), and the second-hitted mirror is pointed by the moving beam deflected by the first mirror.

The standard length is 10mm for the M9024 mirrors, I once heard about a 12mm mirror (for more scan angle), but I asked Joachim and he said they doesn't exists any more...

But 90° is still pretty big angle! You obtain a huge image after a short distance... And you'll need a big laser output aperture in your laser projector, in my case that's the limiting factor