Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got eye damage from watching a laser

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post

I was born with only one working macula. I can't afford even one mistake.

James.
    Interesting... Do you see a blank spot or can you just not focus with one eye?

I have to say I've been pretty careless with my eyes over the many years I've been experimenting with lasers. I'm usually cautious though, I've never owned a pair of laser eye protection glasses or goggles. I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase some. My eyes are worth more than any project.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Interesting... Do you see a blank spot or can you just not focus with one eye?

I have to say I've been pretty careless with my eyes over the many years I've been experimenting with lasers. I'm usually cautious though, I've never owned a pair of laser eye protection glasses or goggles. I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase some. My eyes are worth more than any project.
    Adam
    It's hard to describe what I see! Since it has always been that way, it's normal for me. I do not have stereo vision, So I can not see 3D like most people. If I cover my good eye, all I have is peripheral vision. There is no center of detail. My eye has no inclination to fix on anything. As a matter of fact, If I look right at something, I can't see it at all. If I move my eye around and scan the area I'm looking at I can make more out of it. I guess that is because peripheral vision is more about detecting motion or change than it is about actually seeing details.

That's why this emotocon has special meaning to me!

James.

Its possible to get your retina photographed at the optician, I've had mine done as a part of routine check ups (not related to laser exposure) for some time.

The machine literally takes a digital photograph of the back of your eye and so should show up any damage.

You should seak this out urgently to find out what if any damage has actually occurred although its almost certainly its irrepairable. At least this will let you know once and for all if there's damage and let you know if there's any chance that the damage might repair itself. There's always a chance it could be very slight - an arc eye type effect rather than a deep burn.

You should always be careful with projectors, especially home made ones as you have less assurance in terms of what its emitting than with a reputable branded laser. Most reputable lasers will filter IR and in many cases, may have had pre-programmed patterns checked for safety compliance. Whereas this doesn't guarantee audience scanning safety, especially as effects are cumulative, (so you still need to calculate MPE), it offers more safety than something that you've put together yourself and which is an unknown quantity in terms of emissions.

Default lasers

Hey James what lasers do you have ?

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Zone View Post
    Hey James what lasers do you have ?
    I got very lucky and was well cared for by someone who knows a lot more about all of that than I did (or even do!).

rMuD sold me my whole deal in one chunk! He got it from 6 Flags in Buffalo NY. He already had one of his own. I got it in January of 2005.

I have a not-so-hot ALC 60X Argon and a HeNe. My balanced white beam is probably about 25 to 40 mW total.

As far as I am concerned, it's just about perfect for me! It's just enough to do my development work and not get hurt by being stupid.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-12-2008 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Zone View Post
    Nice ,, I had a big 40 watt laserscope .
    40 watts !!!

That's freakin' dangerous!

You can blow holes in stuff with that.

James.

Actually I take my earlier comments back, you can see an optician anytime for the details:

GO STRAIGHT TO HOPSITAL EYE CASUALTY NOW!!!

If its only a slight burn there's always a chance they might be able to do something eg. give steroids to aid healing, reduce scarring etc. but the longer you leave it, the less chance there is of regaining your sight (assuming there is any at all).

Hospital eye causalty will be able to assess your eye and may be able to help you.

Yeah I know you are I was commenting to Mccarrot.

It is also quite possible to get a retina burn just from looking at the dot as it appears on a screen. If the laser is powerful enough, that tiny little dot is radiating a ton of energy.

James.