Thread: Here I am ;)

Default Here I am ;)

Hi together, since I started posting a bit here lately, here is some introduction to myself. My name is Joachim, I'm from Germany near Wiesbaden/Frankfurt, 44yrs old and into all sorts of toys Laser became fascinating since I got my first 0.5mW HeNe back when I was 16. I placed lots of little mirrors in my parents house, and sent the beam all across. However, I did nothing else with lasers since.

Then, 20yrs later, the Internet was there and I stumbled over some laser websites, like Laserfreak in Germany, and I was suddenly alarmed.

I built my first projector back in early 2006 and had lots of fun with it, until the sad Lasever story started, and I had to rip apart everything again and again, and had no chance to put it back together until now.

I now went to CNI and Laser-Wave and hope for the best. I just need to get a powerful red, and I think I will do it myself out of red DVD diodes.

Here are lots of pics about the construction of my first projector. It has analogue 100mW of R G and B, so total 300mW. Not so much, but perfect for my living room I use CT6800 galvos.

http://www.sparket.de/Projektor/bau/Page.html
    http://www.sparket.de/Projektor/bau2/Page.html
    http://www.sparket.de/Projektor/minibank/Page.html

Shortly after, becoming a real addict, I built two satellites (based on some old chineese laser projector case I had spare) with M9024 Widemove galvos, first 120mW TTL green only, then I added Lasever 300mW red for RGY. Also short after, one of the red died. However, here are some pics of the green built only:

http://www.sparket.de/sat1/Page.html
    http://www.sparket.de/SAT2/Page.html

I am selling those on ebay now, since I changed my mind and ordered two el cheapo chineese analogue 600mW RGB. Well I guess they are not really 600mW, but still good. I received them, and they of course need some therapy as I expected, I will exchange the dichro mirrors and mounts, and modify the case, but otherwise its good value for the money.

So those will be my sattelites, and I am all about to do the red, for my little main projector. Hopefully!

I also have a small air cooled multiline argon, about 100mW, and a HUGE HeNe (130cm long) with about 60mW. I will - maybe when I retired hehe - try to contruct a gas laser projector out of it, just for the fun, with gratings and all that fun stuff. I have a multisector grating and all sorts of effects out of junk gas laser banks, and I like playing with that pinball technology

BTW-Does anybody here remember the Laser BBS? I think it was based in California. This was a BBS system back in the times of FIDO-Net, those accoustic-coupler based network..IF anyone remembers..?!?

I ask that, because when I started work back in '86, I worked for a huge U.S. based cell phone manufactor, who is not doing well nowerdays (guess guess ) as a network operator.

With a collegue and friend, who worked in the U.S. datacentre of that company I installed a data link over the companies network, so I was able to dial out in the U.S. from my germany PC. So I was able to dial BBS's in the U.S. from Germany for FREE. At that time, that was amazing... However, I also found this Laser-BBS, and that was another amazing thing to read all that stuff. But lasers had a very high price tag at that time, and I had not much money, so all I ever got was my 0.5mW HeNe and lots of mirrors

I really like the community here, the manners I like the best, so keep on going and have fun!

Thanks for reading...didnt realize this will get a paperback

Cheers and greetings from rainy Germany - Jo

hi Jo...WELCOME!!

seems like you really know your stuff. i looked at your pictures and looks like you have a great build going on! my apologies for not writing a little more right now, but its 1 AM, its HOTTTT, im TIRED and i still have wiring to do!! lol...

just wanted to give you a quick HEY and Welcome!

lots of great guys and girls here. youll learn A TON and hopefully have some knowledge to give also!

-Marc

Cool

Welcome Jo;

I've seen you post before; thanks for the introduction. Sounds like you've got quite a lot going on right now! Your projector looks very nice. Keep the pictures coming. (We all like pictures! )

I remember laughing when you first started posting... You picked "Phat Slug" as your nickname, which is one of the radio-control cars you can choose to race with in the PC game "Re-Volt". (It's the large yellow and green car that is sort of slow...) Was that intentional, or did you have another reference in mind? (Not too many people remember "Re-Volt"... It's a pretty old game, but I still play it. Great fun!)

Adam

Thanks for the warm welcome

Adam, this is exactly where I got that name from. I love the Re-Volt game and still playing it sometimes, its still good fun. I liked it, because 'Slug' in german means 'Nacktschnecke' (naked snail so to say). And it sounds cool

Cheers, Jo

Smile

Cool! Another Re-Volt fan! (I thought I was the only one left...) Great game...

My personal favorite is the "Dr Grunge" car. I beat most of the tracks with that one.

Have you tried downloading extra cars and tracks for Re-Volt? There are literally thousands of user-created tracks available. Some of them are *much* better than the tracks that came with the game! Also, I believe the game is now available for free download...

Adam

Hehe, thanks for the tip. I will have a look. I never downloaded anything of their site. Maybe I get enthusiastic again Cheers, Jo