Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Laser power Supplies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    600

    Default Laser power Supplies

    G’day all
    Has anyone out there built there RGB projector with one large power supply?

    I’m looking at putting a 30A 5V switch mode power supply in my projector to power a Green 200mW Laserever head, a Blue 250mW Laserwave head and a future Red 500-800mW (probably Laserwave)

    However reading through the Laserwave manual, it states that “Use of a different power supply other than the one supplied will invalidate the warranty”

    What is the general consensus on this? Has anyone already done this?

    Or am I mis-reading the term “power supply” to be the control board (as I know that the control board is adjusted specifically to the head)

    I can’t see why the 5Volt power supply would matter as long as it can supply enough current and has good regulation it should be all fine.

    Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps. GS124PD
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

    Old Projector Build


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    I'm using one power supply for all my lasers. I'm not home right now so I can't give you the spec's. I think perhaps your confusing the laser controller board which is usually specific to the laser head it controls.

    Cheers

    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    600

    Default

    "think perhaps your confusing the laser controller board which is usually specific to the laser head it controls"

    That's what I'm thinking but the manual does clearly state both devices as being the Laser control board and the power supply as separate devices.

    And I can't see what it would matter by using a different power supply

    I suppose it could also be that the manual could be in error by stating power supply instead of control board.

    I'd b interested to find out what spec your lasers are Jem

    Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps. GS124PD
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

    Old Projector Build


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    I'd b interested to find out what spec your lasers are Jem
    Well... As of today I have the following in my projector:

    1 x MaXYZmodules double 659nm, outputs ~440mW
    1 x Lasever 200mW 473 nm blue, outputs ~210mW
    1 x Laserwave 300mW Green, outputs ~350mw

    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Cool, so the Laserwave and the lasever happily co-exist together on the same power supply

    Thanks Jem that's good to know, however I still like to know why it would void the warranty (or if at all)
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps. GS124PD
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

    Old Projector Build


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Cool, so the Laserwave and the lasever happily co-exist together on the same power supply

    Thanks Jem that's good to know, however I still like to know why it would void the warranty (or if at all)
    Yep, they co-exist quite happily. It's just a nuisance that I need a separate supply for the Maxyz.

    Can't say i've read about it voiding the warrantly anywhere on my literature though.

    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Hi Jem

    If you go to Laserwave's support page (http://www.laser-wave.com/eSupp.asp) and download/open either one of the manuals:

    Laser-wave's lasers using introduce(07) (http://www.laser-wave.com/pic/2008394414879117.doc)

    Laser-wave 's lasers using introduce(08) (http://www.laser-wave.com/pic/2008394404373989.doc)

    And it's written in the section on electrical saftey (Page 1) point 5. "Use of a different power supply other than the one supplied will invalidate the warranty.
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps. GS124PD
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

    Old Projector Build


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    Hmmm... Guess I never saw that

    Perhaps the best thing would be to PM Bridge at Laserwave and ask for clarification. I reckon that most people will swap out the power supply without even thinking about it.

    Maybe Stanwax (Laserwave's UK agent) will have an opinion on this... Rob, where are you

    Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    G’day all
    Has anyone out there built there RGB projector with one large power supply?

    I’m looking at putting a 30A 5V switch mode power supply in my projector to power a Green 200mW Laserever head, a Blue 250mW Laserwave head and a future Red 500-800mW (probably Laserwave)

    However reading through the Laserwave manual, it states that “Use of a different power supply other than the one supplied will invalidate the warranty”

    What is the general consensus on this? Has anyone already done this?

    Or am I mis-reading the term “power supply” to be the control board (as I know that the control board is adjusted specifically to the head)

    I can’t see why the 5Volt power supply would matter as long as it can supply enough current and has good regulation it should be all fine.

    Troy
    Each LASER diode is matched to the power supply by limiting the amount of current which flows into the diode. Laser diodes (especially TEC cooled) can withstand a lot of variance in the current. But, over current WILL reduce the lifespan of the laser diode. So, you are taking a risk.

    Looks like you have some nice laser heads, shame to blow one up

    EDIT: OOPS! I mis read your post. You must have three part lasers: PSU, air cooled controller, and the head itself, Correct? Then, I would say, yeah, feed all three controllers with a single PSU. IMO No big deal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheepsville, Wales, UK
    Posts
    3,396

    Default

    Dunno how i missed this thread before but now Im here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Maybe Stanwax (Laserwave's UK agent) will have an opinion on this... Rob, where are you
    I do have an opinion especially as those words are mine

    The Driver board is clearly the most important and that simply requires 5V at some current that will depend on the laser spec. The PSU supplied with the Laserwave modules is good for 8A so will operate happily within its limits. As long as you provide a good stable 5V and have adequate current then I certainly wouldn't have issue except for.....if the PSU you used went pop and killed the module &/or driver board I think there would be a warranty problem then.

    Also some of the red modules have a single unit that combines the PSU & the driver board obviously this would be one you could not meddle with.

    Hope this helps

    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

    Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

    Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •