Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian laser show 'blinds' revellers

Depense on the other specs of you laser, especially the diverigence.

But 800mW with normal specs (1,5 mrad) and a scanangle of 40 degrees and 30K scan speed is save to view (audiance scanning) from a distance bigger than 15 meters.

From the ILDA-website:

In the July 5 incident, the Russian laser show was clearly using powers significantly higher than the internationally-accepted safety standards and/or laws. In fact, given the widespread number of injuries, it is possible that an illegal type of laser may have been used. This is a "pulsed" laser which emits lights in short, strong bursts, and should never be used for audience scanning. (We do not know at this point if a pulsed laser was responsible. However, in 40 years there has only been one similar incident, which did use a pulsed laser.)
    ILDA condemns this irresponsible incident. We are extremely distressed to hear about this incident, and our deepest sympathies go out to the victims.

Yes Tony you have been lucky. I know at least 3 laser professionals including Brian the owner of Cambridge Laser Laboratories http://www.cambridgelasers.com/home.html who have documented holes in their retinas from 250mW and smaller lasers.

All it takes is one 800mW RGB beam in one eye and you have permanent retinal damage. I also know the night club owner and the laser guy in San Francisco who settled out of court for $750,000.00 in a laser eye injury suit.

This is exactly why I say it is a unethical idea to audience scan anyone whether you are varienced by the FDA or GOD it sends the wrong message.
    Under or uneducated people will see a "safe varianced" audience scanning show and try their best to replicate it for themselves usually with out knowing what MPE stands for.

It is my OPINION that the bodies(eye injuries) have been stacking up for years. It is only now in the age of the internet that we hear about them.
    It is also my OPINION that it is fact that 99 percent of all laser related eye injuries go noticed but unreported due to peoples ignorance of laser induced injury. It is only when the injury is so bad that a loss of sight is reported that anyone hears about it.

I will say no more as I have already made my point very clear here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ience+scanning

Skipp

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVJLqawHCU

just browsing youtube, think this is the event concerned, carnt be sure,

but, saying its not really that dark, look how bright the beams are

can you believe this??? This made National news here in the U.S.

i got a call about 25 minutes ago regarding a Laser show i had booked for mid August. (a birthday party for teens). and the sons of bitches CANCELLED!!!!

the woman was "extremely nervous and unaware of the hazards these lasers pose." i tried to explain to her that what she just saw on the news was a 1 in a million "boneheaded" laser show that would NEVER be performed here in the U.S. by ANY responisible laser company.

Yeah, that didnt help at all. she actually got an atitude with me because she felt i was wrong and deceitful for not explaining to her that lasers could cause blindness. and that it would be a "cold day in hell" (her exact words) before she let any of her kids or her kids friends be blinded!!!?!?!??!!! YOU KIDDING ME???

Can you believe this shit? (sorry for language, but im PISSED!!!) there have been hundreds of thousands of laser shows in the past 50 years (or whatever) and only what, 2 or 3 reported accidents like this and now all of a sudden, lasers are the anti-christ!!!

I agree 110% i honestly think that if you turn a laser on in public, whether its for 2 people or 200,000 people you should need a license! PERIOD!! Sorry, just my opinion.

i know alot of the hobbyists here will probably disagree and obviously im not refering to anyone here because everyone here *SEEMS* quite responsible...BUT- if licensing was required and purchasing of lasers was more controlled, i think education and awareness would be MUCH MORE abundant and these stupid laser accidents would be avoided.

-Marc

I think everyone here will feel the backlash in one way or another from this
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I'd have to agree. This has been on my mind all day. What a terrible thing. This is the worst thing that can happen as far as laser show biz goes. This is a million times worse than some jerk pointing a greenie at an aircraft.

Imagine how you'd feel if you were one of the people blinded or one of the people responsible.

It's a sad day.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-14-2008 at 19:01.

I only hope the people responsible for this are rewarded with a HUGE fine!

Unbelievable stupidity
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I was depressed all show long today. Even to the point of taping the bottom part of all my projector windows.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Strange thing is i cant find anything on the BBC news website but its in the top 10 latest news stories on the CNN site
    they also have a bit more info

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- A laser show at a music festival injured more than 30 people, Russian news reports said.
    Some concertgoers lost up to 80 percent of their vision after attending the Aquamarine Music Festival on July 5, the newspaper Kommersant reported.
    Twenty people are undergoing treatment in Moscow hospitals, said Elena Grishina, the head doctor at the Moscow Ophthalmological Hospital, the RIA-Novosti news agency reported Monday.
    "It is just a deterioration in the sharpness of the eyesight, not a burn," she was quoted as saying, and said she could not confirm the injuries came from lasers.
    "The treatment is not very pleasant. It involves a lot of needles," Grishina said. "But all the patients are in optimistic spirits, and we are hoping for a good result."
    According to the reports, concertgoers said the festival's dance floor was covered by a canopy because it was raining. The lasers were pointed horizontally under the tent instead of into the sky, which led to the injuries, the reports said.
    "After five or ten minutes on the dance field, I couldn't see anything," a young man in sunglasses identified as a concertgoer said on NTV television. "I could see out of my left eye, but my right eye is all fog."
    The broadcast showed video from the festival recorded by cellular phones, one of which appeared to burn out when a laser shone on it.
    The festival was held in the Vladimir region east of Moscow. During the summer, techno music enthusiasts often organize open-air raves on empty fields outside Moscow.
    The injured concertgoers plan to take legal action against the festival's organizers, NTV reported.
    A representative of the Vladimir regional government said the festival was organized illegally without proper permits. Police in the town of Kirzhach, where the festival was held, refused to comment.
    Most of the injured concertgoers sought treatment at two Moscow hospitals, Kommersant reported. No one answered the telephone at either hospital Monday.
    Grishina was quoted as saying there were no immediate plans to release the patients.
    all the best ... Karl