Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian laser show 'blinds' revellers

Default Russian laser show 'blinds' revellers

http://news.smh.com.au/world/russian...0714-3ey0.html

Dozens of young revellers were blinded by a laser show at a dance music festival near Moscow last week and doctors fear the damage may be irreparable, the Kommersant daily has reported.

"More than 30 people between the ages of 16 and 30 have ended up in hospitals in the capital with the same diagnosis - damaged retinas - since July 7," the report said, quoting doctors.

One doctor told Kommersant: "All of them have burnt retinas, you can see scars on them. The loss of eyesight in some cases is up to 80 per cent and it's unlikely it can ever be restored."

Festival goers being treated in hospital said they were blinded when lasers intended to light up the night sky were trained on dancers.

"I immediately saw a black spot like the kind you get when you look at the sun," said one of the patients.

The Aquamarine festival took place near the town of Vladimir, some 170km east of Moscow.

© 2008 AFP

Sounds like a YAG..?

I agree, probably a YAG laser was used. But how could the operator allow this laser to be directed towards the stage? It's a pity for the dancers whose eyesight was at the mercy of the operator.

Here in Sydney, it's illegal to posess a hand-held laser pointer > 1mW without a prohibited weapons permit. But crowd-scanning lasershows in nightclubs are completely unregulated!
    Last edited by weartronics; 07-14-2008 at 00:33.

Light up the sky?....40W Yaggers I would think....beamed @ crowd. What about a @#$%^ test before the !@#$% show.? Operator was probably high on some substance. After all it's a psychedelic festival.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

It was just a matter of time before a Accident
    with laser would happen.

I'm almost sure more people got a little bit of eye damage (like me) but not knowing it.
    Everyone is doing audiance scanning here in europe, and its more than often I see a +1W laser scanning the audiance from less than 20 meters. and I dont think thay all did MPE calculations.

It's time laseroperaters have to have a licence to operate lasers.
    Last edited by mccarrot; 07-14-2008 at 05:20.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    I'm almost sure more people got a little bit of eye damage (like me) but not knowing it.
    Everyone is doing audiance scanning here in europe, and its more than often I see a +1W laser scanning the audiance from less than 20 meters. and I dont think thay all did MPE calculations.

It's time laseroperaters have to have a licence to operate lasers.
    This is exactly what I'm afraid of.. People just start talking about lasers in general, licenses, MPE calculations, etc. Just wait till you know the details..

Ik ben het niet helemaal met je eens Jeroen.

I agree with you it could be an accident wat got nothing to do with the operator (like a laser skybeamer with a broken motor falling down towards the audiance)

But still lasers are no toys, now everyone can buy lasers and use them at raves, but it would be good operaters needs to have a licence so they know they are playing wit a dangerous device!

I don't think the picture posted is from the Russian show, but a generic image SpitsNieuws.nl uses for press-items about lasershows.

I agree lasers are NOT toys and operators should know what they're doing - and maybe a kind of license is something to start with. However, I don't want Europe to become like the States, that's just crazy.

---- Waar kom je vandaan, Nederland?

Yes, Licensing laser operators can hopefully prevent audiance scanning to be banned in europe.

NEWSUPDATE:
    "Usually, laser beams at such concerts are directed into the air. But it was raining heavily and the organizers had to stretch a canopy over the dance floor, and the [laser] beam at times fell below the canopy," one of the victims was quoted by Kommersant as saying

A doctor told Kommersant that many of the victims, aged between 16 and 30, who sought medical treatment were suffering from burnt retinas.
    Doctors say the "loss of eyesight is up to 80% in some cases" and for some of the victims "it will not be possible" to restore their eyesight.
    Those affected by the laser have made complaints against the organizers. "The doctors must prove, that the injuries were caused only by the laser, and not by alcohol or, for instance, loud noise," one of the patients said, however.

Cosmic Connection, the concert organizer and promoter has been unavailable for comment.

The head of the EQ laser show firm, Valentin Vasilyev, however, called the incident "unprecedented" and told Kommersant that if a laser beam hit the retina, then the burn would be instantaneous and blamed poorly trained personnel and badly maintained equipment for such incidents.
    But a DJ involved in music festivals said the firm that organized the concert had all the required health and safety certificates.

------- ps Ik kom uit Purmerend (boven Amsterdam)
    Last edited by mccarrot; 07-14-2008 at 05:27.

Default Beam shows

I always point the laser toward the audience I have a 800mw RGB system never had a problem. So have i just been lucky or not, Do I stop beam shows and jus project I realy dont know now.
    Any Ideas