Thread: LaserBoy 07-15-2008 !!!

Default LaserBoy 07-15-2008 !!!

Look for new stuff in the frame transforms menu ('h'). Option 'c' is new; shoving everything below it down a letter.

Also note in the UI visuals and system toggles, menu 'u', option 'c' has been added; shoving everything below it down a letter.

I bet drlava gets what this is all about without any explanation!

If you have data that you know has retraced lines in it, you can either blank them by choice by applying "c blank equivalent segments", or you can let the optimization option do that for you. By default this is considered too expensive.

Turns out, if you know your data has a lot of retracing in it, looking for it and removing it saves time! Otherwise, it takes a lot more time.

http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserBoy/LaserBoy_07_15_2008.zip

It still isn't perfect. (Imagine that!) The example data that drlava sent me has dots in the corners and I need to figure out how to find and eliminate them!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-14-2008 at 22:33.

Hey James. I seem to be having a problem playing the output wave file. It appears its corrupted.

Can you be a bit more specific?

You might find that it is a challenge to get Windows to play a 6 channel wave correctly, even though you have a 6 channel sound device. Windows sound system has a habit of mixing multiple channels into stereo and just outputting on channels 1 & 2.

drlava, barold and 300evil are all working with the same USB sound device. I got one, but I haven't hacked it yet.

I've been busy keeping my house from falling in around me! Our refrigerator just died! etc. etc...

Anyway... It would be great of one of them could come on here and give a description of how they found true bliss in multichannel wave playback and channel identification. It can be done! It has been done! It will be done!

James.

Well, when I try open it in media player, for example, it says "Aquring codec", and then pops up with an error saying it cant play the file. It says it could be a damaged header/uredable format etc.

I just hacked my USB sound device. It went very well! I got it all hooked up tonight and made sure I had +/- 15VDC to the correction amp. I will tweak in the amp trimmers tomorrow and fire up the laser! Once I get it all together, I will post a lot of pictures and a description of what I did!

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Well, when I try open it in media player, for example, it says "Aquring codec", and then pops up with an error saying it cant play the file. It says it could be a damaged header/uredable format etc.
    Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3349 plays the files fine for me.

Default Cheap USB audio DAC

Well..... I've almost got it!

Now I know which solder pads are which channels and I also know that this DAC is an inverter!

I ran into a few other issues that might be very confusing for anyone who's never been through all of this before.

I'm going to add some more logical option to LaserBoy and release it very soon. Then I'll get all the pictures of the sound card modification process together and write it up.

James.