Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoke machines and fire alarms

Question Smoke machines and fire alarms

Does anybody know if there is a smoke/haze machine that does not set off fire alarms?

I have to do a wedding reception and the venue has a fire alarm that they can't disable. Thing is, the smoke machine defines the lighting. No point using lasers and moving lights with no smoke..

I have a fog machine and 2 HZ1000 hazers. The fogger is definitely out, not sure about the hazers though. I have been advised that crack ice machines don't affect fire alarms.

So I would like to know for sure which machine, if any can do the job.

Don't want to be upsetting the fire brigade

Cheers
    Mark

Hi Mark

It might be worth taking a look at the Blue Room Forum

http://www.blue-room.org.uk

Do a search, there's loads of info on this topic of hazers and smoke alarms. Here's one I turned up with a quick search...

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.ph...0&#entry107830

Hope this helps

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hazers dont usually set off smoke alarms, unless you use high quantities of it, OR if the venue uses optical smoke detectors. Optical smoke detectors are quite rare, but still used. If you can, try find out what kind of smoke detector it is. If its a heat detector, no probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Hazers dont usually set off smoke alarms,...

That's one hell of a statement !!! Don't be under any illusions here - Hazers can set off smoke alarms quite easily. as mentioned, you need to be sure of the type of detector that is being used - The modern 'heat rise' detectors appear to be quite safe to use with hazers.

However, these are IMO quite a rarity in hotels (unless the hotel is very new). I would certainly want to test the hazer in the venue BEFORE the function. There would be nothing worse than having a pis*ed off fire officer shouting in your ear whilst the wedding guests stand outside in the pouring rain
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Most of the DJ's I have talked to have had no probs with hazers and smoke alarms... Very few of them actually....

I find that optical detectors are very sensitive to smoke, regardless of what the source is. Hazers are no exception to this. The only way to stop them from going off is to prevent the smoke from reaching them. They are also very common and practically standard in public locations in Sweden.

The ionization detector I have at home never goes off though, no matter how much smoke I pump out of my water-based hazer. Actually starting to think something is wrong with it.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies... The hotel is a brand new Hilton, so I would guess it is the new type smoke detector...

My Hazers have heaters in them, so not true hazers. As far as I am aware, true hazers have compressors instead... Mine are also made by Chauvet, so I don't suppose they are anything too special compared to the likes of Unique or LeMaitre...

So, with this in mind, I am going to need to hire a machine in along with the sound and lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    So, with this in mind, I am going to need to hire a machine in along with the sound and lights.
    Mark, before you go and hire a hazer it might be worth checking that the hotel actually allow them at all. I know someone at the local Holiday Inn and they have a blanket ban on ALL hazers and fog machines regardless of type. I tried my best to pursuade them to let me use one but to no avail

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies... The hotel is a brand new Hilton, so I would guess it is the new type smoke detector...
    I wouldnt guess, not at all, especially if it a hotel. The last thing they want is to have to clear the contents of thier new hotel inc guests becuase you set the fire alarm off and if you did then I doubt it would be helpful in aquiring future gigs.

A big hotel like that would almost certainly have a dedicated person to maintaince/H&S/whatever and thats who you need to contact. If its opical alarms then id have to echo what everybody else has said but otherwise heat based alarms should be fine. Also in some venues they use mixed alarms with your situation in mind, heat and optical or just optical during the day and normal use, then when hazers and such are likely to be used a key lock type thing can change the alarm system over to just heat. Lastly any H&S person attached to that building will have the greatest understanding of how best to move forward.

I use a Martin/Jem Magnum Hazer with thier proprietry haze fluid.

I have had to at various venues run it on full output for 5-10 minutes to prove that it does not set of the smoke or fire alarms.

As of yet I have not set any off during a test or during a show using this product.

But maybe I am lucky in that they may not be any of ther new optical types of detectors.

André