Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combining two 473nm beams into one

Cool

Don't forget that there will be extra costs involved in mounting the lasers so that they are oriented properly to match the cube...

A common solution is to mount the lasers side by side, and use a bounce mirror to send one beam 90 degrees into the side of the cube while the other laser shoots straight through. If you do this, you'll need an adjustable mount for the bounce mirror and another one for the cube. This arrangement makes it *very* easy to adjust your near and far field alignment for the two beams.

Another solution is to mount the lasers at a 90 degree angle to each other on adjustable mounts so you can tweak the alignment that way. It's a lot more difficult to align everything though, if you go this route...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Don't forget that there will be extra costs involved in mounting the lasers so that they are oriented properly to match the cube...

A common solution is to mount the lasers side by side, and use a bounce mirror to send one beam 90 degrees into the side of the cube while the other laser shoots straight through. If you do this, you'll need an adjustable mount for the bounce mirror and another one for the cube. This arrangement makes it *very* easy to adjust your near and far field alignment for the two beams.

Another solution is to mount the lasers at a 90 degree angle to each other on adjustable mounts so you can tweak the alignment that way. It's a lot more difficult to align everything though, if you go this route...

Adam
    I was planning on going the side by side route and using a prism or mirror. Mirror is a heck of a lot easier to align.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenPC View Post
    I was planning on going the side by side route and using a prism or mirror. Mirror is a heck of a lot easier to align.
    Yep! You got that right!

Ok then, you're on your way. Be sure to post pics when you get it all put together!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Yep! You got that right!

Ok then, you're on your way. Be sure to post pics when you get it all put together!

Adam
    I'm crossing my fingers that the polarization is correct. They are both the 100mw CNI types.

Im sure you will find theyt will be OK - and remember dont put you cube square on tilt it to get maximum throughput - see here...http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...?t=4693&page=2

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Im sure you will find theyt will be OK - and remember dont put you cube square on tilt it to get maximum throughput - see here...http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...?t=4693&page=2

Rob
    Wow...great idea. I would have dorked it and tried to square it up! Thanks!

Im not sure 'dorking' it is right as most people up to now seem to put their cubes square on. Their loss! My measurments suggest you can achieve in the order of an extra 10% in your output - its a no brainer!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Please explain a bit more....a pic may be in order. I have found that if the cube has the correct A/R coating, back reflections are at a minimum. I have a pair 473's that are doing 375-400mw out of the front apeture of the projector.That is after changing galvo mirrors,dichrioc's , and other measures of optics tweaking. It is not easy....but very rewarding after the battle is won. The polorization needs to be at least 100:1 for good results. If not....well there is a loss of power in using the cube.....check your laser with a half waveplate and meter. The laser beams and cube are at right angles and as straight as possible. Once the polorization orientation is found on the laser....a simple mark of the felt pen make easy location to orient beams into the cube. One H and one V.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Pix and measurements are in the other thread. I no nothing of the physics of polarisation - and frankly Im not that interested - I just see this works time and time again.
    Rob

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    I no nothing of the physics of polarisation - and frankly Im not that interested - I just see this works time and time again.
    Rob
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with the quality of the coatings on the cube, and the accuracy of the angle machined into the faces. I've noticed a few people posting about how they're getting better results when adjusting the cube slightly off-axis from perfectly perpendicular. Then again, just about everyone here is using the very affordable PBS cubes from LaserWave in China.

I purchased my PBS cube from Marconi nearly 18 months ago, which was long before Bridge started advertizing about his cubes. Marconi purchased this particular cube directly from Mells-Griot about a year before I got it from him. And even though he sold it to me at his cost, my cube still cost $122. (I know - OUCH!)

However, the faces on this cube are dead-on. If the beams deviate from 90 degrees in either direction on my cube, the power drops off slightly.

The moral of the story is to be sure you have enough adjustment in your rig so that you can try both alignments. (Both at a perfect 90 degrees and somewhat off-set) Then you can pick whichever one gives you the best output.

Adam