Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone! First post. Need advice on my new RGB galvo system

Default Hello everyone! First post. Need advice on my new RGB galvo system

So, I built a Scanpro 20K galvo system using a green laser, their supplied DMX512 board and a third party ILDA USB DAC.

It went fine. But, of course, green get's boring and I wanted to increase the speed of the galvos to 50K. SO, I began on my journey. I purchased:
    1x 635nm red (300mw)
    1x 473nm blue (100mw)
    1x set of 50K scanners and drivers (plus a small 24+- psu)
    1x red dichroic mirror
    1x blue dichroic mirror
    2x analog drivers to replace the existing TTL drivers (I will current match them to the TTL drivers)
    1x Laserworld 12bit USB dac with 8bit color channels and Showeditor 2008

OK! I ready to rumble!

One thing that strikes me right away is the alignment of the laser heads and the dochroics. This is going to be tricky to get the color to work properly.

The very first hurdle is the height of the laser heads respective to the first galvo mirror. Besides shimming the heads to the correct height, is there a better way to manage the beam geometry?

Thanks for any advice!

Oh, and I'm posting my pics in my gallery: http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/u...nkenPC/RGB50K/

Thumbs up

Hey man, welcome. I hope the blue works out well for you.

Just looked at your pics, that is a small footprint there. You going double decker?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Hey man, welcome. I hope the blue works out well for you.

Just looked at your pics, that is a small footprint there. You going double decker?
    Absolutely...I have another 1/4" alum plate same size. I'm placing 4 5" posts between the two decks.

I'll have to tone down the red and green to match the blue until I can afford a powerful blue laser. WOW 473nm blue is expensive!!!!

Franken-

i personally chose the elevated stage design. it can get kind of annoying going back and forth on the threaded rods, but it makes it easier to align the beam heights.

http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/u...ottaluvlasers/ look there under RGB build. youll see some pics of how i layed it out on stages.

some other people here did shims and different types of stages. there really is no right or wrong way. i personally like the stage way.

your pics look like its gonna be small. GOOD CHOICE! just watch your cooling. smaller the area, the greater the heat.

oh, by the way...WELCOME!!!

-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Franken-

i personally chose the elevated stage design. it can get kind of annoying going back and forth on the threaded rods, but it makes it easier to align the beam heights.

http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/u...ottaluvlasers/ look there under RGB build. youll see some pics of how i layed it out on stages.

some other people here did shims and different types of stages. there really is no right or wrong way. i personally like the stage way.

your pics look like its gonna be small. GOOD CHOICE! just watch your cooling. smaller the area, the greater the heat.

oh, by the way...WELCOME!!!

-Marc
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be forcing air between the plates. So I should probably bolt on a large heatsink to the underside of the top plate (lasers).

I've seen other pics with lots of little heat sinks. I'm going for a solid aluminum plate to sink all of it. Problem IS....the shims arent made out of aluminum! DRATS!

Looks like the beginnings of a very nice projector, FrankenPC. May I ask in what part of this world you live? The reason I ask is because next month there is going to be a lasermeet in the UK, UKLEM. Or if you live in the states, there will be SELEM. If you live elsewhere, then nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Looks like the beginnings of a very nice projector, FrankenPC. May I ask in what part of this world you live? The reason I ask is because next month there is going to be a lasermeet in the UK, UKLEM. Or if you live in the states, there will be SELEM. If you live elsewhere, then nevermind!
    I live in the Bay Area in the US. Near San Francisco.

ah, well thats not THAT far considering we had someone from New Zealand attend the last event! You should look into joining us if you can! http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4423

Talking

ah, well thats not THAT far considering we had someone from New Zealand attend the last event! You should look into joining us if you can! http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4423
    Yea, Ray kinda killed the "It is too far to travel to..." excuse at FLEM.

The event is in North Carolina?