Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tasteing your laser!?!?!

Default Tasteing your laser!?!?!

I saw this on LPF and thought I'd bring it over here too. If you have a lowish powered laser (10mw-50mw), try shining it at your tongue!! Numrous people on LPF noticed a coppery taste, and I tasted it too. I am thinking the laser is just messing with your tastebuds, but either way its VERY weird!!

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    ...but either way its VERY weird!!
    AND, very dangerous too !

The tongue is a very sensitive organ, would you point a 50mW laser at your testicles?

Hmmm... No, I thought not. Still, it could possibly be a new way of self cauterizing tongue piercing

Copper taste ?... Was the guy using a copper vapor laser ???

It never ceases to amaze me what people will try on themselves. Oh, look, here's my laser, now then what can I possibly do with it that will... a] inflict pain, b] cause possible cellular damage, or c] make me go blind. Or even d] Insert your own suggestion here.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Wink

I personally prefer to chew on the cables.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I did it wwith a 10mw green, safe enough. i dont wanna go any higher tho :P

is this a joke??

its light. you cant "taste" light. you were prob tasting the EFFECTS of shining a beam of radiation on your tongue!! which, by the way, and i mean this in the most respectable way possible...
    what the hell are you doing??

Post Darwin award waiting to happen...

That copper taste is probably the taste of dying cells...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I wouldn't call the tongue a very sensitive organ. Just think, how many times haven't you bitten yourself in the tongue or burnt it on hot coffee? Sure hurts like hell for a while, but the effects are only temporary. I'd say the tongue is a pretty safe target for lasers as long as some common sense is used (stop if it starts smoking).

Now, the coppery taste I cannot reproduce on myself. I've tried several lasers of different wavelengths and the only effect I notice is a warming sensation on the tip of my tongue.

Regarding the taste/smell of copper I'd say copper itself is tasteless and of course has no smell. You might argue that copper coins are typically very smelly, but that's only because copper catalyzes the oxidation of certain alcohols present on your skin into some very smelly aldehydes. Perhaps the same alcohols are present in your breath, so that you're exposing some copper surfaces on the laser to this? Too farfetched?

Personally I associate the taste of copper/iron with hurting myself. Strangely enough I usually get that taste in my mouth just before the actual damage is inflicted; the moment you realize "oh, shit... this is going to hurt". Psychological phenomenon?

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    ... I'd say the tongue is a pretty safe target for lasers as long as some common sense is used (stop if it starts smoking).
    I personally would stop before the smoke, when the pain starts kicking in.
    But I'm not Swedish.

I'm not saying you can actually "Taste" the beam as such, I was just saying that sometimes when you shine a laser on your tongue, you get a weird coppery taste. It could simply be the tastebuds picking up the energy nd converting it to some kind of taste. I dunno. but I know its not the photons your tasting :P

What they are probably tasting is the metal of the laser after they accidentally touch it to their tongue.