Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheap DAC/Software

Default Looking for a cheap DAC/Software

Hello everyone, I've had my green laser projector with a while, but I have only been using it with a DMX board, even though I have an ILDA port. I'm just doing this as a hobby, and am not very knowledgeable about the hardware and software. I know a lot of people are doing the LASERBOY DAC, but I don't think I have the abilities to make one, I have no soldering experience and very little circuit/hardware experience. Are there are decently priced ones that you would suggest? I know people have suggested Mamba on here before..

Any suggestions and links will be appreciated.
    - instinct

Pangolin's FB3

Just type 'FB3' into the search box and hit the 'Enter' key.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I second the Pangolin FB3 - great card and an AWESOME suite of FREE software applications available from Pangolin for registered FB3 owners!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    I know a lot of people are doing the LASERBOY DAC, but I don't think I have the abilities to make one, I have no soldering experience and very little circuit/hardware experience.
    I'm sure you can do it. You might have to ask for a little help but I'm sure you can get it done if you make an effort. You'll save yourself at least $400 if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I'm sure you can do it. You might have to ask for a little help but I'm sure you can get it done if you make an effort. You'll save yourself at least $400 if you do.
    I will certainly offer any help I can!

I'm trying to get a kit together. Once we have a printed circuit board, it's super easy to put one together. I plan on selling them pre-built or as a kit.

Pretty soon there should be LOTS of pictures from a number of different PL members!

James.

Is anyone working on a printed circuit board? I'll definitely buy one.

Yes, I'm drawing up a quick one for SELEM that is only the amp board (you connect it to a card of your choice). Future work includes everything on one board.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Yes, I'm drawing up a quick one for SELEM that is only the amp board (you connect it to a card of your choice). Future work includes everything on one board.
    We are...

James.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Sounds great. Will the first board just be only single ended output? If you could add room those chips that convert single to balanced outputs that would be awesome. Will the second board contain the sound card components as well?

no balanced outputs on this first one. It's just a quick kit to get some out there. For scanners that allow balanced input, it's easy to turn up the amp gain without affecting tuning, so it works fine for short runs.