Thread: RGB - Cambridge "upgrade"

Default RGB - Cambridge "upgrade"

As mentioned in my "drool" thread a week or so back here are some pix of the Cambridge 6215 scanners with high power amps.
    The HPO option is really some outboard transistors added to help with the current issue.
    Current peaks at 20 amps when hard at work. up to 600 watts of heat.

The unit is a shear joy to deal with. The Amps of course are made for professional use in many differing areas (not just display work) so there is a far greater range of features than one might expect.

Cabling these beasts should be renamed 'plumbing' as a lot of copper is required. Power supplies have to be linked and multiple runs are required.

To use the 6215 at hi power you need two power supplies. In my case I have two 24 volt but turned up to 26 volts at this stage. Thus giving + / - 26 volt supply.

The real joy comes when you do the run up and do some simple tests (that's where I am at right now).

The grid test pattern sits rock solid and as you wind up the speed the corners don't round off at all until you just start to reach 60K and then only just.

The ILDA test pattern looks like its a walk in the park. no lines drooping off and the circle in the centre just doesn't deform.
    You can hear the scanners at these speeds but I would not describe it as screaming at all.

The amps have on board sensing and if you push too hard at about 90% they will start to kick into safety.
    One real neat feature (with class to boot) is on power up it goes into fault mode and in effect shuts down the amps to ensure a "kind start" on the scanners. It then progressively starts up the various amplifier stages and in about five seconds the two leds goes from red to green (phew !!!) and its ready.

These things are just top class.. Although they give full tuning processes including scope diagrams etc they are so nice out of the box I would be reluctant to fiddle and there are way more trimmers, filters and jumpers on these PCB's.

Lots of nice features like fault out, remote shutdown in, curent sense and so on..

When I get all of RGB back in alignment I will post some pix .. right now here are some of the mechanics.
    Things are getting tight on board and very heavy now. Luckily I used the up down construction with lots of metal. I left it running for two hours last night on the ILDA test pattern and it wasn't even warm so that looks good so far.

If you want a top notch 'clean' scanner then take a look at the Cambridge 6215 .. it is available as a 30 k version as well with less power supply demands but you will still get that quality.

Cheers

Ray
    New Zealand

PS : one thing I didnt ike was that mounting hole right by the mirror.. ain't no way I'm gonna use that... one miss and multiple mirrors all unusable plus seven years bad luck !!
    Luckily there are other threaded holes underneath..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00417.JPG  

DSC00419.JPG  

DSC00410.JPG  

DSC00412.JPG  

DSC00420.JPG  

DSC00426.JPG  

DSC00425.JPG  

DSC00428.JPG  

DSC00429.JPG  

DSC00431.JPG  

Last edited by Pitts; 07-20-2008 at 23:23.

20A??? wow, just, wow!

Must be some pretty bulky galvo's to stand up to that kinda current!!

Nice work!

Talking

Very NICE there Ray!!! Only thing those pictures are missing is coherent light.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

When I tidy that up I'll put up some pix.. with coherant light.

Hows the motorbike these days ??

Cheers

Ray

Ray-

Come on man, your set up is SOOOOO messy. you got wires strewn all over the place. Nothing is layed out neatly. come on brotha!!! if youre going to post pictures, make them neat!!!
    ok, now seriously....

LOL...

Dude, your projector is a work of art!!! the Da'vinci of laser projectors! so neat, tidy and wired all sorts of logically. and logically wiring things is NOT in my book of vocabulary!

how you gonna tease us though with 60k scanners there with NO beam shots??? we're all sitting here drooling waiting like lil boys and girls before christmas (or hanukah or kwanzaa or whatever you may celebrate! )

**ALLTHATWHICHIS**
    Please insert proper, "this thread is useless without *LASER BEAM* pics"

Ray- GORGEOUS projector!!

-Marc