Thread: 457nm DPSS laser - Recommendations ?

Default 457nm DPSS laser - Recommendations ?

Hi

I'm just having thoughts about stripping and re-building my RGB rig . Truth is that there are many things i'd do differently second time around. It's amazing, you can research all you like (as I did) but you'll still find you could have done things better once you've completed your first projector and had it running for a while.

For instance for my re-build I would...

Mount everything on a large thick extruded aluminium heat sink to minimise the need for fans.

Drill and tap holes instead of using nuts and bolts to hold stuff down.

Use bounce mirrors instead of shims for easy beam alignment

Use a single power supply with step down circuitry (I know, I know, I shouldn't do it )

Possibly use a different shutter mechanism to a gravity one as I have now

Put in provision for a lumina/diffraction wheel.

PLUS... (and most importantly) I would probably put in a nice 457nm blue DPSS laser to expand the colour gamut (Pangolin's QM2000.Net/LD2000 etc, can make good use of this).

So, with this in mind can anyone recommend any reliable 457nm lasers with good beam specs?, probably around the 200/400mW region

Cheers

Jem

P.S., if you can think of anything useful (hints and tips wise) that i've missed from the above list please feel free to add your suggestions
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hmmm...

Just found this...

http://store.oemlasersystems.com/ind...dex&cPath=1_34

Looks like they may be more expensive than I first thought

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Indeed Jem
    beautiful though they may be they are telephone mumbers - may be batter with 450nm diodes
    Rob

ps If i were you I would go for that 2.5W one
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Most bang for the buck, not to mention reliability and linearity is going to be a 445nm diode from Arctos, or HB or Medialas...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Sorry to crap on you wagon but 457nm needs a power of 4. It's really depends on your RGB. If you already have 200nm blue then another 100mw of 473nm would be 400mw of 457nm. Plus it would be easy to join together. I'm doing the same with my red. I have 800mw of 635nm and I'm joining it with 655nm 1W it'll give me a total of ~1200mw of visible red. Which will be perfect with 500mw green and 400mw blue. Adding about 800mw of 457nm would be cool but 12K it's just too much.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!