Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAB - Great Analog Beast

Default GAB - Great Analog Beast

Hi everyone!

It's been some weeks since I last posted something on PL...
    I have been reading it but so far I haven't had enough time to post, as university is keeping me quite busy

But now it's time to share with you the pictures I have taken a couple of weeks ago. I have just finished building my RGB projector! Those who have read my story know how hard it has been for me to have a working projector and how it cost! But now it's definitely done!!!

Don't worry, pictures and videos will follow (or - should I say - FLOW!!!)

But first, I must thank everyone here! This is a GREAT forum where kind laser enthusiasts are helpful and spend their time giving advice to the people new to lasers. I have learnt so much here and I'm sure I'll still learn tons of interesting things here...SO A GREAT AND SINCERE "THANK YOU" GOES TO PL!!!

In particular, there are 3 people I really must mention here:

Allison (here 'sunbear'): for her great, continuous, essential and friendly support! She provided me great and detailed information when I bought the modules back in August and she has been sharing opinions and friendship with me since then. When I had problems with the blue she helped me promptly and always gave useful advice. Thank you Allison for your advice and friendship!

Bridge: He runs a great company he must be proud of. He provided me immediate and excellent support when I had problems. He makes Laser-wave a fantastic company which makes great products and provides excellent customer support. Thanks Bridge for keeping so great lasers affordable by us hobbyists!

Rob (here 'stanwax'): When I had problems with the blue he helped me a lot and even set up some tests for me to do at home without sending the laser back to China. When I sent it to him he promptly examined it to solve the problem. He would have been able to repair it by himself, but - as a clean room was necessary - it would have shortened the laser lifetime and so he sent the unit back to Bridge, where it got repaired. Rob is an extremely skilled technician and a loyal and honest man. He was also so kind to lose much time writing a whole page to explain me the principles of DPSS lasers! It really helped me to understand how lasers work! Thank you Rob for your service, advice and information!

One last "thank you" must go to the ones who believed in me and trusted me when I said "it will be worth the cost - it will be wonderful - it will be ART". Those are the ones who gave me the money to do it (my parents and my grandparents), otherwise it would have been impossible for me to build such a projector.

NOW - it's time for some multimedial content

"A terrible beauty is born" (W.B. Yeats)

Let me introduce you to my baby:GAB!

Some pictures of the projector can be found in the gallery:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/users/h2so4/

I have not uploaded any pictures of the beams/graphics yet as I still have to find a way to take good pictures of them. So, at the moment, there are only pictures of the unit itself.

On YT I am uploading all the videos I filmed two weeks ago. I will put the shows which came with FB3 and some shows I made. At the moment there are only 2 videos 'cause it is taking ages to upload each of them, so there will appear more in the next days

http://www.youtube.com/user/giocoder

Hope you like my baby

Thanks very much to all again!

Best regards!

Giovanni

Nice work Giovanni! And great choice of music!

Thank you! I find that music perfect for parties' openings and endings :-)

Best regards!

Giovanni

The projector looks nice, and so do your videos good job! I was wondering about that gap on the back when you place the lid on Picture PB080007
    (although I see a lid fits over the entire back when not in use). Did this gap get covered, I was worried about light leakage.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Yes, you're right, there is that gap, which a characteristic of the flight case the projector is placed in. It was originally meant to be closed, and when I put the front and back panels on, there are no more gaps. But you are right: when the unit is in use there are those gaps on front and back side but they are not a concern, as no light comes out from there...I simply didn't have enough aluminium :-)

All the best!

Giovanni

Very very very WELL!!!
    I saw your 3 shows: they are simply but well built. Congrats!
    Soundtrack from Pink Floyd and Nightwish!!! WOW!!! Excellent Dude! (It seems we both have same "taste" about music...)
    White balance is satisfactory (maybe you should need little bit red?)

Good job!
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Hi Steve! I'm very happy to hear from you! Unfortunately, Pink Floyd's show is not created by me. The one who created it is a real artist...Have you seen Gebbi's shows on Youtube? They are amazing...he's the greatest in beamshows! As for my shows: Zarathustra was designed for my first TTL projector so doesn't show much and about Nightwish, yes, I love them! Though that show is not particularly well made. Let's say my friend got tired after 2 hours working on Showrider and left me alone...and I was tire too ;-) Anyway, if and when I got LD2000, I will create a mega show as a tribute to Dark side of the moon. I really love Pink Floyd's music..it's just perfect for lasershows. It has a light-like taste itself!
    As for the white balance, I swear that in reality it's perfect (green and blue are already turned down a bit). If sometimes it seems weird, is my camera's fault, which seems not to be able to capture beams very well...guess I need to work on this. In the videos I will upload during the next days the colors are more clearly shown ;-)
    Congratulations for your shows...they always look great with the "crowd" of lasers you've put on!!!

All the best!
    Giovanni

Oh yeah!
    I well know the fame of *Gebbi*, a great German laserist. He is also a very good friend of Erich Hans (creator of "He-Laserscan" and "Showeditor"). They are both included inside my personal "Gotha's Laserist List" which included , obviously, a lot of Members here on PL.

Anyway.....
    Nice shows
    Nice software
    Nice colors

Your point: 8 ½ (like title of the famous Fellini's movie)

All the best!

B.T.W.... I hope to be able, before than Christmas comes, to post some pics about my 1W RGB upgrade....
    @ Rob (*Stanwax*) take a look at your PM...

Greets!
    Steve
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Thank you very much :-)
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your upgrade!!!

All the best!
    Giovanni

Nice Projector h2so4
    The videos are very cool: i love the colors!
    What's the power of every single laser?