Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dichros PBS cubes etc?

really nice photos, love the colors. amazing pink and purplish colors from the yeallow pic.

Knife-edge system is on the way-

Although as i got answers even more questions come up.
    sry.

I have right now 3 diodes and planing on testing with them and have bought 3 drivers with analouge modulation from lava. (thnx m8).

My new question is if this works how many analouge connections can i hook up to the DAC, i mean if i go on with this and have like 20pcs of 405nm diodes and 20 Lava-drivers, could i connect them all? seems a litle to much.

So im thinking if i can perhaps just use one Lava driver and on the output connect to other simpler driver that connects to all diodes?

ill put up some scetches here.

(edit.)
    Don mind the "Ex 2. Scene B"
    dont knwo what i was thinking.. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.gif  

was it to dumb question?

Example 1 *should* work so long as the DAC can handle the combined signal current of all the drivers.
    Example 2 *should* work, best if the diodes are all exactly the same and from the same batch. With the LD's connected in parallel, the driver will need to be able to supply the sum of the current drawn by all them.
    If connected in series, the driver will need to be run at the higher voltage required to run all the LD's up to max current.
    Example 3 I don't think this would work. Connecting all the drivers to the PSU for power, and replacing the single driver with a signal buffer would, and this is a good way of fixing the problem if Example 1 is overloading the DAC output. Robin (UK-Laser) may be able to help with a signal buffer, but I know he's pretty busy at the moment..

Cool

Agreed. Example #1 is the one you want to use, but you may need to buffer the signal before you send it to all the drivers. It really depends on the controller you use and the driver(s) you use. The limiting factor is going to be how much current each driver pulls on the blanking input.

I think the Pangolin QM-2000 is designed to source up to 20 ma on each of the color outputs. (Thought I remember Hayden posting that... Not 100% sure though.) Don't know if that's typical for most DAC's or not, but let's use it as an example anyway.

So if your driver is properly isolated (like the mosfet isolation transistor that the Maxyz modules use on the blanking input), then the driver won't pull *any* current from the DAC, and you can run pretty much as many drivers as you want.

But if your driver uses traditional TTL logic (note: I'm not talking about TTL blanking, but rather a signaling protocol that specifies voltage and impedance values), then I don't think you'd be able to run more than about 5 to 8 drivers before you'd overload your DAC. In that case you'd need a buffer of some kind. (Thinking maybe a properly biased darlington pair would do the trick...)

Adam

ok thank you.

I'm laying out my RGB optic bench using Bridge's 2 axiz dicro holders. I notice that at 45 Deg angle, the aperature in the holder is almost gone.
    As I recall, DrLava opened up the window to get better beam centering. Anyone else have to do this?? I'm about ready to remove a piece of the rear mount. It should not affect strength or stability.

Mike

Guess I asked this in the wrong place..............
    Last edited by Hemlock Mike; 09-03-2008 at 20:35.

great pictures its to bad i missed these! please keep us updated i wanna see the final result of the RGV
    -Josh

dazebtwn,

DAZZLING !!!

Keep up the good work!

I'd love to see that in person.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by dazebtwn View Post
    The first pic is just the 405 and should appear deep violet with just a tinge of deep blue. I have noticed on some monitors that it can appear too blue. The camera (Canon 10d) sees the 405 as quite blue, regardless of what white balance I select, so I am still working on finding an explanation/solution to that anomaly. In the meantime I have color corrected the images so that it displays close to what I see live, but how you see the image will depend on your monitor setup/calibration, and the difference is very subtle.
    It is unfortunately impossible to reproduce violet color using the RGB color system. It is outside of the color space. Typically a purple-like color is used to simulate it, but purple and violet are not the same.

Your camera picks it up as blue (and not purple) because the red transmissive dye in its sensor doesn't have any transmission in the violet wavelengths. There is no solution to this other than getting another camera. Most cameras today also operate in the RGB color system, so the beautiful violet is lost at this point already.