Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here help with starting scanner project.

Default New Here help with starting scanner project.

okay so i have been doing a LOT of research on building my own green laser scanner and was referred to this site from a good friend of mine.

he said this is the place to be( you guys rock and will always be willing to help!)

anyways i think i have decided on all the parts i wanna buy except maybe the actual laser.

please let me know if i left out anything or should upgrade to something else.
    im open to all suggestions.

here is my parts list...

scanners- $495-525
    SCANPRO30 http://www.lasershowparts.com/store/...d&productId=68
    or should i go with this? and not use the DMX board?
    it seems faster and better angle but its cheaper? would it be lesser quality?
    http://www.lasershowparts.com/store/...&productId=141

DAC and Software- $500
    Pangolin Hobbyist kit with FB3 and la freak
    http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

Laser-
    £525
    500mw 532nm dpss green laser
    www.laser-wave.co.uk

that is it for all the main pieces correct?

for mounting and the car i will be using a flat piece of aluminum and i will have a friend cnc pieces to make mounting more secure and sturdy. and then i will also have him drill holes and tap them so it will screw directly down to the plate.

i will also be running a couple fans or course.

now another question what is the best route for power?

thanks a ton in advanced and im looking forward to the great advice from you guys!
    Last edited by thesk8nmidget; 07-25-2008 at 09:12.
    -Josh

Welcome to the best corner of the internet for laser enthusiasts to hang out

PM sent

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

thanks rob i sent you a reply.

looks like i may have found my new laser..

also a question i will post just so it is public and if anyone has similar questions they can find the answer here...

the laser i used to run was all home built and was a 1 watt green laser, a thing that it had was very nifty and pretty helpful.

it had three knobs you could adjust 2 to control the max distance the x and y scanners could move and also 1 knob for the laser to adjust power.

are these standard on all laser and scanners or is this something you have to add yourself?
    -Josh

Hi Josh
    To make the answer public the scanner angle control and laser output assuming you have more than TTL modulation are controlled these days by the software you are using. There is nothing stopping you from putting manual controls in if you like to adjust the signals, but most people just do it in software.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

UPDATED first post with laser i am going to go with.'

and thanks rob tha answers the question perfectly.

but another question.
    how do you go about adding manual gain to the scanners?
    -Josh

you could add a simple pot to adjust the level of the signal coming in from he DAC or if you wanna be posh you could make a little op amp unity gain circuit and have an adjutable input to that - though I doubt its needed.

Rob

awesome i think i will stick to the software adjusting as im sure its just fine.

but thanks for fulfilling my curiosity
    -Josh

hehehe no probs

Rob

okay now for some more specific questions...

where can you buy the dt40 pro scanners?

also i have read bill from pangolin does some great tuning is there a way to buy directly from him and receive them tuned?

or do you think the two scanners i asked about in the first post would be a good setup.
    -Josh

ohh something just popped into my head and i need to verify.

can you use just a usb to control the FB3 board?

i dont have a serial port on my laptop or my desktop so usb is a must and i wont have access to a serial port computer.

pretty lame question but i just want clarification

reading about the board it says expandability for a daughter board usb do i need this to connect to my computer and run it and if so whats the going rate?
    -Josh