Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser power supply fun

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    He meant the other way around...
    Ah, I see

If I'd have realised that then i'd have got it straight away, obviously i'm having a bad day

I have some nice 98%+ sulphuric that I dilute as required - It's also good for 'other' experiments

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I have some nice 98%+ sulphuric that I dilute as required - It's also good for 'other' experiments
    Nitroglycerin?

Adam

Guess my nickname is more about 'other experiments'!!!
    To tell the truth, I have a bottle of 96% sulphuric acid lying in my cellar...I use it on things that make me too angry to let them survive
    E.g. say that a computer psu breaks down while i'm working on the pc and makes me lose the 4 pages mail I was writing...then I use H2SO4 on it and take my revenge!!!

@FrankenPC:
    Thanks for information! I think this balancing thing will take some time, as there are 3 pots and two tec ones. Hope to get the right combination as this laser is pretty useless if the crystals don't stay at the optimal temperature...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Nitroglycerin?

Adam
    I'd then need some Conc' Nitric acid and some glycerin. Plus I might risk damaging my workshop and my lasers

To tell the truth, I have a bottle of 96% sulphuric acid lying in my cellar...I use it on things that make me too angry to let them survive
    E.g. say that a computer psu breaks down while i'm working on the pc and makes me lose the 4 pages mail I was writing...then I use H2SO4 on it and take my revenge!!!
    HeHe, I knew there must be a simple explanation

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post

@FrankenPC:
    Thanks for information! I think this balancing thing will take some time, as there are 3 pots and two tec ones. Hope to get the right combination as this laser is pretty useless if the crystals don't stay at the optimal temperature...
    Sulphuric is pretty lame for revenge purposes. You really want nitric acid.

nitric? I already got!!!

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    nitric? I already got!!!
    You dangerous...I hope you don't live near me!

I'm not dangerous at all...the nitric one is for revenge purpose too!!!

We used to have a bottle of conc' hydrofluoric acid at work. Seemingly that's REAL nasty stuff, I had a hell of a job trying to get someone to take it of my hands for safe disposal. Believe it or not we used to use it for stripping coatings from lenses. It was kept in a special dual layer flask with neutralising agent sandwiched inbetween. We always wore super thick nitrile rubber gloves and a full face respirator mask when handling it. I've seen it burn through stuff in no time

Nowadays we just tend to throw the lenses away and get new ones - much safer

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    We used to have a bottle of conc' hydrofluoric acid at work. Seemingly that's REAL nasty stuff, I had a hell of a job trying to get someone to take it of my hands for safe disposal. Believe it or not we used to use it for stripping coatings from lenses. It was kept in a special dual layer flask with neutralising agent sandwiched inbetween. We always wore super thick nitrile rubber gloves and a full face respirator mask when handling it. I've seen it burn through stuff in no time

Nowadays we just tend to throw the lenses away and get new ones - much safer

Jem
    Woo! I've never handled that stuff before. Sound's nasty. I used to know a chemical engineer from Kodak. He said they designed an acid which came in two liquid parts. Once mixed, the acid would consume any known material. So, it had to be mixed onsite.