Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser power supply fun

Quote Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
    Hydroflouric acid is extremely toxic, decalcifies your bones and soaks in through your skin very quickly.

There are tales of people who've spilt on their hands having to cut their arms off to save their lives, its very nasty stuff!

From the Wikipedia:

I'm hard pressed to think of anything nastier...other than direct exposure to gamma rays. Or the blood of Alien

Quote Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
    Hydroflouric acid is extremely toxic, decalcifies your bones and soaks in through your skin very quickly.

There are tales of people who've spilt on their hands having to cut their arms off to save their lives, its very nasty stuff!

From the Wikipedia:

Hell... I'm feeling worse by the minute... I guess i'm lucky to still be alive
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenPC View Post
    I'm hard pressed to think of anything nastier...other than direct exposure to gamma rays. Or the blood of Alien
    Fluorosulfonic acid pales in comparison to this stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroantimonic_acid

I suspect this is what the guy from Kodak was talking about. He wasn't quite right- you can keep it in PTFE bottles- but I don't really fancy the job of driving a truck full of the stuff... if you spilled this on yourself, all they'd find would be the teflon inserts on the frames of your glasses. Really, astonishingly unpleasant stuff. Used in the production of some of the molecular organic vapours I mentioned earlier- I stayed FAR away from that lab.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Fluorosulfonic acid pales in comparison to this stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroantimonic_acid

I suspect this is what the guy from Kodak was talking about. He wasn't quite right- you can keep it in PTFE bottles- but I don't really fancy the job of driving a truck full of the stuff... if you spilled this on yourself, all they'd find would be the teflon inserts on the frames of your glasses. Really, astonishingly unpleasant stuff. Used in the production of some of the molecular organic vapours I mentioned earlier- I stayed FAR away from that lab.
    "Fluoroantimonic acid is 2×10^19 (20 quintillion) times stronger than 100% sulfuric acid. "

20 quintillion??????? :O

Edit: A new word I fear greatly: protonation.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenPC View Post
    "Fluoroantimonic acid is 2×10^19 (20 quintillion) times stronger than 100% sulfuric acid. "
    And it decomposes explosively in the presence of water, which I'm sure makes it wonderful stuff to handle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Seriously though, you quite often never realise what goes into making everyday items and the risks that some folks take to get them to us. I'll think about that now every time I switch on my PC.
    This was at TI, where we made the processors for, oh, most of the cellphones out there at the time. Astonishingly, they hadn't had an accident in ten years when I got there, and I don't think there have been any since- they run an exceedingly tight ship. Fortunately for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    And it decomposes explosively in the presence of water, which I'm sure makes it wonderful stuff to handle!
    so ya dont wanna run ya hand under the tap to wash it off

As for HF there was a lot of people unknowingly exposed to it in the motor trade in the mid '90s. Certain rubber products used in seals were made using HF which was fine until the rubber burned, at which point HF was liberated. Poor unsuspecting mechanics replacing failed wheel bearings would replace the oil seal and often the one taken out would have been hot enough to liberate the HF. Also cars that were being recovered from fire damage were a big risk and there was lots of warning circulating about the hazzard. Though there is (I beleive) an 'antidote' for it if it gets into your bones it will migrate disolving the bones as it goes, so amputation is the only way to stop the spread.

Grim stuff.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

These molecules you're talking about are pretty nasty stuff...For us it is better to stay with lasers - which are far less dangerous!!! (and we know that they aren't harmless at all...)

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Though there is (I beleive) an 'antidote' for it if it gets into your bones it will migrate disolving the bones as it goes, so amputation is the only way to stop the spread.
    Apparently these days they can use calcium gluconate to stop the spread, but I have no idea how effective it is- and apparently the process is astonishingly painful, too. Wonderful!

So erm....what was that about a laser power supply?

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

hehe ..... thread hijack

but an interesting one .... and before we get back to the power supply i would like to treat you to some poetry on the secondary subject .....

Poor John Brown is dead and gone
    His Face you will see no more
    for what he thought was h2o
    Was h2so4

all the best ..... Karl