Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things LaserBoy

BTW My evil plan to rule The Universe works best if it is in harmony and conjunction with your own.

And I don't like to make people cry.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-26-2008 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    What is complex about dragging an ILDA file onto a time line?
    Actually Carmangary, I just looked at your program it wasn't Spagetti I tried. It was Mamba and something else. Yours does look easy to use from our web page.

I'll be honest. Once I got over the fact that I can only run it in XP (not in front of me) and I'd have to install a whole bunch of stuff, etc... It took me about no time to get it.

I guess one of the things I'm lobbying for in this thread is spelled out in Spaghetti's interface. Is "LaserBoy" a DAC option? Should it be? Or should it be called "drlava's driver to convert EzLase calls to the LaserBoy DAC"?

Seriously.

Think about it like this: What if every time someone added something to the Linuix kernel, they split it off and called it something else?

EDIT: In reading this post, it might seem like I have an issue with drlava. This is not the case at all! We have exchanged a lot of concepts and ideas in PMs, phone conversations and he's even been to my house with his laser! I know he's a very creative, smart guy. I enjoy working with him. In the past couple of weeks we've put together an easy-to-build, inexpensive design to be made into a kit and sold for a good price. The question naturally came up as to what to call it! We've had some gentleman's conversation about it and now I raise the question to you, the dedicated readers of the PL, to offer a more objective perspective and to continue the discussion as to the importance of this matter. Please try to understand.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-26-2008 at 19:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
    I think personally if you can aim to emulate the features and ease of use of Pangolin at a reasonable enthusiasts / amateurs price then there's a huge market for it.
    I am not.

I am trying to establish a generic all-purpose set of C++ classes, concepts and methodologies that might someday become well known industry standards of their own.

Think about this: I could have made modified sound cards without releasing the information as to how it is done and written just the slightest variation in the wave file format and the whole thing could have been completely proprietary!

The point is, I did not. Dean and I worked on the electrical specifications of the associated hardware device. I spent years developing a whole, independent software system that requires that hardware device. They are intrinsically related. They are done. They have a name. "LaserBoy"

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    I'll be honest. Once I got over the fact that I can only run it in XP (not in front of me) and I'd have to install a whole bunch of stuff, etc... It took me about no time to get it.

I guess one of the things I'm lobbying for in this thread is spelled out in Spaghetti's interface. Is "LaserBoy" a DAC option? Should it be? Or should it be called "drlava's driver to convert EzLase calls to the LaserBoy DAC"?

Seriously.

Think about it like this: What if every time someone added something to the Linuix kernel, they split it off and called it something else?

James.
    If you had written a driver for it then I would give you credit but it was DrLava who actually took it to the next level and wrote a driver. That took a lot more thought thanyour basic electronics op-amp circuit. You had a good idea, but you floundered on it with your non-Microsoft attitude and let someone take the glory away from you. That's the way I see it. So, I probably won't ever call it a LaserBoy DAC in my software.

Heathcliff had been published in around 2000 and it used a soundcard as a laser control DAC. Other people have used sound cards as DACs and made some bad ass videos that were playable on oscilloscopes. I give you credit for your LaserBoy software but using a sound card as a DAC was not your idea.

If you had written a driver for it then I would give you credit but it was DrLava who actually took it to the next level and wrote a driver. That took a lot more thought thanyour basic electronics op-amp circuit. You had a good idea, but you floundered on it with your non-Microsoft attitude and let someone take the glory away from you. That's the way I see it. So, I probably won't ever call it a LaserBoy DAC in my software.

Heathcliff had been published in around 2000 and it used a soundcard as a laser control DAC. Other people have used sound cards as DACs and made some bad ass videos that were playable on oscilloscopes. I give you credit for your LaserBoy software but using a sound card as a DAC was not your idea.

"That took a lot more thought thanyour basic electronics op-amp circuit."

That took a lot of thought BASED ON my "basic electronics op-amp circuit".

Yes, it's pretty "basic". I suppose I could have invented the wheel too. But that was already done. It is the simplest, most effective solution I can think of.

"non-Microsoft attitude"
    You'll never see the light. Will you? Pity.

"took it to the next level"
    Funny. As soon as someone can play a video game, all the attention to the rest of the technology falls to the floor.

"let someone take the glory away from you"
    Nope. drlava deserves all the glory he can get for his work! It has very little to do with what LaserBoy is and does. I think it makes sense that if someone finds drlava's work, they sould find LaserBoy and vise versa. They compliment each other well. THAT is really the point! It adds up to something better for both of us.

"using a sound card as a DAC was not your idea"
    In and of itself, you are right. But the op-amp design is mine. I gave it out as an open spec. And I can claim a bunch of industry firsts that I invented that are now available to you for free. I know for a fact that it has expanded your horizons. I have emails from you dating way back. How about the fact that you can now make a laser show, save it on a CD and play it on ANY computer with NO other laser software at all... just a wave player? You can't do that with drlava's driver or anything else out there for that matter!

I may have a huge ego, but I pay attention to and take care of everyone else's ego as well. I'm never stingy with complements or giving credit.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-26-2008 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    But the op-amp design is mine. I gave it out as an open spec.
    Anyone with a background in electronics would laugh his ass off at that statement. You gave away Example #1 in the op-amp handbook. Sorry to bust your balls but someone has to keep the egos in check around here. But like I said, it was a good idea to do that but not really innovative enough to be proclaiming yourself a supreme being as you are.

I appreciate the fact that you are continuing this thread and fleshing it out with your ideas. But I disagree with your attitude. I think if the shoe was on the other foot, you would too! I know you like to get positive feedback for your work with Spaghetti. It's kind-of a shame. You are one of the few people on this forum who might well understand.

Trivializing my efforts is not appreciated.

James.

So....who makes soundcard DAC's? Is there a link?

All of this phycho-ego-BS really comes about from one simple question.

There is a nice, simple design for a printed circuit board and a hand full of parts that is Dean's schematic, my layout and routing and drlava's OR CAD work. Is it wrong of me to want the word "LaserBoy" printed on it?

That's really all there is to it.

Here:
    http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/LaserBoy/pcb.dxf

You can open it and see it in LaserBoy!

I've never been any good at looking or acting cool. I'm a nerd; a gay nerd. I though I'd have a go at being an extraordinary gay nerd.

At least I'm honest. Very honest.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-29-2008 at 12:40.