Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All Things LaserBoy

carmangary, you are a smart-ass.

How would you feel if you submitted something you created to someone for reproduction and they said "Sure, but I'm going to put my company name on it and call it something else" ?

By itself, a sound card doesn't work; not even if you short the caps.

Sure! People have been using computer sound devices to control lasers for years... But there is NOT ONE currently available hardware / software system that does!

It was NEVER done in 24-bit color. It was NEVER written to the open standard wave file format. It was NEVER open source. It was NEVER free.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-28-2008 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    carmangary, you are a smart-ass.

How would you feel if you submitted something you created to someone for reproduction and they said "Sure, but I'm going to put my company name on it and call it something else" ?
    Ok, this is a big misrepresentation of what happened, that's not fair to me at all.

If you'll recall, you are not the only one who did this. You just did while I was collaborating with you.

I'm really dissappointed with this whole thing. It takes all the fun out of even thinking about lasers.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-28-2008 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    You just did while I was collaborating with you.

I'm really dissappointed with this whole thing. It takes all the fun out of even thinking about lasers.

James.
    I did not do it at all. We were to be equal collaborators, it was never a subcontract job. Equal collaborators means both names on the board, it was never just mine, and I even put your name first. You didn't start trying to fix the name to LaserBoy DAC until recently.

I agree, we should just pick a name and move on to better things! The enjoyment of the end result will overshadow this minor tiff, and it will be forgotten.

MASC - Modifications and Additions to existing Sound Card.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    I did not do it at all. We were to be equal collaborators, it was never a subcontract job. Equal collaborators means both names on the board, it was never just mine, and I even put your name first. You didn't start trying to fix the name to LaserBoy DAC until recently.

I agree, we should just pick a name and move on to better things! The enjoyment of the end result will overshadow this minor tiff, and it will be forgotten.
    I suggested that name well within the volley of PMs titled "Where do we go from here?". Before you went to press.

You are correct in assuming we are equal collaborators. That is what I always wanted to maintain. But it means we have to collaborate. Enough said. I want to get onto better things and I want to include your ideas and efforts in the development of things to come.

carmangary, piss off.

James.

I think you should call it the Pointless Ego Argument DAC, and leave everyone's names off it just to make the point.

ISADAC? (Inverting Summing Amplifier DAC)

This diagram can be the logo for it.

Or how about the "Frankly-my-dear-I-don't-give-a-DAC"?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LaserBoy.jpg  

Let me try to make everything perfectly clear.

DrLava's drivers is excellent. I fully understand that it is completely outside of the functionality of anything that I have done with LaserBoy. I also understand that it adds an enormous amount of interest of its own to the idea of using a modified sound card. His driver is entirely his own. I don't even know how it works! I REALLY DO APPRECIATE his efforts. I really do value exchanging ideas with him. He is one of only a very few people that I can even talk to about this stuff and he knows C/C++!

I also realize that his driver communicates with the Windows Sound System and it doesn't even come close to knowing or caring about any external electronics that might be hooked up to an otherwise normal, generic sound card.

As far as how it appears as a choice of output devices in other programs or in print, that should be entirely up to him.

What I am concerned about is just that little correction amp that goes on the tail end of a sound card. Quite honestly It doesn't make sense to call it a "LaserBoy DAC", because it isn't a DAC at all. The sound card is the DAC. It is a correction amp. THAT is all I wanted to be labeled "LaserBoy". And I thought it made sense to print that on the board.

I am really sorry if I offended anyone. I'm sure I did.

Special thanks needs to go to carmangary for accelerating this discussion and bringing out the best of me.

James.

PS There are still many issues that need to be resolved in this collaboration. Like a sales website, a PayPal account or similar, printed instructions, packaging, and shipping. Another issue that might become much more relevant in the future is the compatibility of the two (or more) ways to use this product. What signals go into what tracks is now and will continue to be an issue of use. Cooperation is absolutely necessary to make open world standards.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-29-2008 at 13:03.

Why not call it the Laserboy correction amp? That seems reasonable. (LCA for short?)

Glad to hear that the project is moving forward. The combination of a generic sound card and the LaserBoy software is a very affordable way to get into lasers.

Plus, once you have the DAC (and the correction amp), you can run Dr. Lava's driver to emulate the Easylase USB DAC. That opens up a whole bunch of other software, including Carmangary's Spaghetti software, Zoof's Asteroids game, Zoof's oscilloscope thing, and even the Pong simulator. All without spending a lot of money on hardware or software.

That is *very* cool - especially for new enthusiasts that might not be able to spend $500 (or more) on a software / DAC combo. This way a newcomer gets the chance to use several different software packages and even play a few games without breaking the bank.

And for the record, I've got a 6 channel USB sound card on the way. Let me know when the correction amp boards are ready. I want one!

Adam