Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SP168 in recovery - Rob on cloud 9!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    As for being voltage sensitive ,in what ways?
    The mains supply here is 240V and the laser likes 220 so I have an auto transformer and I often have to dick about with the taps to get it sweet. For example today I was running it with onload volts into the exciter of 220 but as I got above 27A tube current the volts had dropped to about 214 which is noticable in the beam as a fluctuation - Naturally I dialed it back on seeing this as I know it hurts the tube. I guess its down to ambient temp and or supply volts against my tap selection but I can run it happily up to 32/33A tube on the right day though dont go that high most of the time.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Not entirely - theres a couple o big F'off electrolyics in the underside of it that shouldnt be there
    Otherwise I dunno.

Link for a spot of video - just for Aaron - just dubbed a tune on for the hellovit
    www.stanwax.plus.com/laser/168.wmv

Rob
    Nice video! I like them G-120's!

Interesting about the conversion. I'd love to know how this was done. Do you know the person that did the mod? I passed on a Spectra Physics a few months ago thinking there would be no way in hell to mod a 265. And I certainly don't want another rotary converter to generate 3 phase. I had one years ago for my coherent purelight, it wasn't very big, but it was loud and very heavy.

them 120s are good old soldiers.

Yes I know the guy who did the mod - he was told by someone (I think cambridge) that it couldnt be done, hes an electronics engineer as far as I know with lots of laser experience. I saw an exciter he had built from scratch for a project he was doing when I collected the 168 - pretty impressive, he didnt want it advertising but it was a home build laser that used a vapour of a metal often found in the plumbing trade and it made green and yellow light in a big beam. The exciter was a work of art and some months later he sent me some pix of the laser in action. Not bad for a shed!

One day I will take a proper look to see whats in there - but at the moment Im just gonna enjoy having the laser back!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Thumbs up

Link for a spot of video - just for Aaron - just dubbed a tune on for the hellovit
    www.stanwax.plus.com/laser/168.wmv

Rob

Damn I want one...

That sounds a bit like Synergy, Larry Fast.

James.

Will put it up for your pleasure shortly
    Fnar fnar

Rob you need to connect those other lines to pangolin from the neos. The 488 can really overpower stuff. You are missing tons of colors with all of those blues tied together.

Give it a go.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Very nice work, Rob! Glad to see you got it working again. C'mon now, you know you want to drag that thing to SELEM!

edit-Question, how are you running that thing? 3phase isn't standard in England, is it?!
    A standard wall power socket in Britain can supply 13 amps at 230 volts.

We love our fast-boiling kettles

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    You are missing tons of colors with all of those blues tied together.

Give it a go.
    Indeed I will. The thing is the laser died 51/2 months ago and I only got pango since then so never used Pango with anything other than RGB. Yesterday it was a case of get some output! I will play round with the correct setup when I get a chance which is likely gonna be after uklem. I know how much difference you get with RGB if you take 10mins to set the pallete up properely
    Rob

PS To James L the music is Tangerine Dream

Cool,
    Also don't neglect the other order out of the ao. That is great for things like scan glass,diffraction, and other effects. Think color and not just brightness this time around. Makes me miss ions, I don't miss the heat and power issues though.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.