Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Audio DAC mod + LaserBoy Correction Amp

Cool

Got my kit in the mail yesterday. Hopefully I will have time to assemble it this weekend!

Adam

Awesome! Keep us posted.

James.

Using an oscilloscope, here are the best non-distorting settings I found to compensate for Windows Media Player 9 (on XP) per-channel gain changes. When playing wavs from Windows Media player only, other players may have no gain offsets. These gain changes are only necessary if you are playing LaserBoy Wavs. if you are using the EzAudDac driver, do not tweak the per channel gains, leave them all at 0. But remember to turn the wav gain all the way up in the mixer for both cases.

Cool

Well, I didn't get a chance to work on the sound card *or* the correction amp. Spent the entire weekend working on my RGB projector.

Finally got the remote kill switch working. I completely re-vamped the interlock circuit and had to make more than a few wiring changes to get everything working the way I wanted it to. I can now use the kill switches on the remote box *or* on the face of the projector, and I can also re-start the projector from either the remote box or from the run switch on the projector.

I also made a "remote-box eliminator" dongle so I can run the projector in local mode without hooking up the box. Everything has been tested and it works as it should.

In addition to all that, I installed my replacement green laser (which entailed a complete re-alignment of the optics) and I also installed new scanners (which entailed a shitload of changes to the mounting system for the scanners *and* the shutter).

Whew! Nearly 18 hours worth of work! But it should be all set for SELEM. (Still need to install the table back in the projector and secure everything - should be able to do that tonight.)

Guess I'll have to wait on the sound card DAC though. I still need to get a few things done on the HGM5 argon (the one with the 903 tube in it)... Not sure if I'll get the exterior case finished, but at least I'll have it lasing in time for SELEM. (So it might not be pretty, but it *will* be putting out at least a watt of multiline loveliness!)

Adam

Bring the bits to SELEM. If you want, I bet I could find time to build it for you right there. Well... maybe not in the dark!

Building the kit and tapping into the USB sound card take less time than setting it up and tweaking the trim pots!

James.

Smile

James, I might take you up on that offer! I'll bring the parts for sure.

MechEng3:

I've been working on the projector some more. Found the source of my noise problem last night. The combined PSU for the DPSS lasers has to go. (Tried to use that large 5V PSU I bought from you last year to run them both, but it's noisy as hell.) So it's back to the separate PSU's that I've had in there all along. Sigh. More re-wiring.

Good news is that the alignment is done and the table is hard-mounted again. Also, the new scanners are in and they work great! With the new green laser my power output has shifted a bit. Now I'm limited on red. (Funny - you'd think it would be blue...)

One more day and I'll be done with the RGB projector. Then I can start working on the argon! (I *will* have the HGM5 working for SELEM. It may not have covers on it, and might look ghetto as hell, but the damn thing will be lasing at over a watt, I promise!)

Oh yeah, and I've got a new beam show to share. (Told ya I've been busy!)

Adam

buffo, I'll try to make a new kit that I have here (not mine that got a little smoked ) and I'll just trade you. Then I can do the USB mod part as a demo. OK?

James.

James:

DEAL! I've got the same sound card as you do anyway (the small, blue, 6-channel USB unit from E-bay).

In other news, I thought the PSU was the source of noise in my projector. It's not. Still working on it. (Got parts laying all over the island in the kitchen... Wife is not pleased!)

Adam

It's done. I just have to test it and tweak it.

I'll probably make another one just for kicks.

James.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    In other news, I thought the PSU was the source of noise in my projector. It's not. Still working on it. (Got parts laying all over the island in the kitchen... Wife is not pleased!)

Adam
    Adam... it is THURSDAY! Projectors should be all but PACKED!