Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modulation issues

Default Modulation issues

Hi!

So I bought a FB3 w/QuickShow for my RGY scanner. The problem is that the two laser modules I have are cheap TTL ones from Aixiz.

Red: http://aixiz.com/store/product_info....products_id=62

I don't have a link for the greenie, but it looks like this, except it's 70mW: http://aixiz.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=94

Wiring everything up properly, I tried some stuff from QuickShow, only to find out that pure red is never shown, only green and red/green combined = yellow. Right now it's closer to a GY scanner than a RGY. I've tried to hook up red to blue, green to red etc, but nothing changes the fact that I'm only getting 2 colors. I have also tried to adjust settings in QS to no avail.

My question is, is this happening because of bad TTL modulation from the drivers? I've read about both the die4drive and flexmod drivers for analog modulation, what's the difference between these two? There should be no problem changing out the drivers of these 2 lasers with a flexmod/die4drive?
    Last edited by skai; 03-02-2010 at 11:04.

Surely you can draw your own red-only frame or a red-only abstract

ttl on two sources will get you 4 colors (including black )

If I try a red only frame (with QS set up with 2 lasers), I get nothing except a very, very faint red (barely visible). If I switch to single laser in QS, both lasers light up. If I try 3 lasers, I get the same result as with 2.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by skai View Post
    If I try a red only frame (with QS set up with 2 lasers), I get nothing except a very, very faint red (barely visible). If I switch to single laser in QS, both lasers light up. If I try 3 lasers, I get the same result as with 2.
    could you please tell us what is connected to what pin on the card please? And what driver you are using? Some times there is a subtle voltage threshold issue with some chinese lasers.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I have connected the FB3 to the ILDA input on the "program board" which was included with my scanpro20's..shouldn't be a problem with the wiring?

It is really strange that the red appears to modulate correctly when I set QS to single laser, but it's just very dim with a red only frame in 2 laser modus.

I have connected the FB3 to the ILDA input on the "program board" which was included with my scanpro20's..shouldn't be a problem with the wiring?

It is really strange that the red appears to modulate correctly when I set QS to single laser, but it's just very dim with a red only frame in 2 laser modus.

Ok, lets try the "idiotic driver" test. Some "low cost bargin basement" drivers are designed to "float up" to turn on, when not connected to the software . If you leave your red driver open circuit, does the beam come on? Some low cost drivers are also inverted.

Do you have a source of 5volts regulated and a potentiometer?

Steve

If I disconnect blanking to only red, it lights up when I connect power to the scanner. If I disconnect only green, both red and green lights up If i disconnect both red and green, both lights up as well. If both the blanking signals are connected, no laser turns on (as it's supposed to be).

If I disconnect blanking to only red, it lights up when I connect power to the scanner. If I disconnect only green, both red and green lights up If i disconnect both red and green, both lights up as well. If both the blanking signals are connected, no laser turns on (as it's supposed to be).
    Based on what you have said, I'd say its a 80% chance you have the "Idiotic Driver Design Disease". You need a buffer circuit. Its curable.

Are you comfortable working with transistors? Do you have a source of +5 DC in your projector or controller? It is a very simple circuit to build..

Steve

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. But isn't it better to just replace the whole TTL circuitry with a flexmod to get analog modulation on the module when I'm first at it?

I also tried another red module I have from Aixiz, 200mW that too, but this one is the 5V type and have a different driver, but it has the same issues.

Another thing worth mentioning, the blanking on the red module only seems to work when just 1 of the blanking cables is connected. If I connect both of them, doesn't matter which way, the laser wont lase at all